Dyno Setup Question!

Sled-pulling, Drag results, Dyno results

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Postby bgilbert » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:52 pm

That was pretty neat Pete!!! What kinda of boost was that? Was that a stock intercooler boot? Ya need silicone hose!

Doesn't look like the way a hx35'd 350rwhp VE truck smokes at WOT on the dyno, sorry bro! It cleaned up way too much. You should've seen my video of my 337rwhp run on Dunbars dyno back in I think 05. Were talkin freight train black throughout WOT, til he let off. Then again, I could be wrong, but I'm calling dyno shenanigans!! LOL

Stomp I think someday you might get your chance. Since Dunbar is becoming 'worldwide' so to speak, the measuring stick for dyno numbers, he's broadening his event travels. I know they went up to New Hamphire and Michigan this year. He lives in Georgia iirc. Not sure how far west he's going to this point, but I bet eventually some national event will pay him to come to California.
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby Stomp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:38 pm

bgilbert wrote:
Stomp I think someday you might get your chance. Since Dunbar is becoming 'worldwide' so to speak, the measuring stick for dyno numbers, he's broadening his event travels. I know they went up to New Hamphire and Michigan this year. He lives in Georgia iirc. Not sure how far west he's going to this point, but I bet eventually some national event will pay him to come to California.

I don’t mind traveling, but going clear across the county is almost out of the question just to get on the dyno. We will have to see what happens next year. Currently I am in Utah and have put almost 2000 miles on the wife’s new car. Fuel isn’t all that cheap and I don’t see it going down much. For diesel in California where I live it was $5.20 when I left. I don’t even drive my pickup anymore unless I am going out to the ranch. There is a guy with a portable dyno that will be at Ponci’s event and I want to say that it is pretty much the same set up as Dunbar’s, but I will look into that. I wish we could have a level playing field then all of this nonsense would stop, but I don’t think it is going to happen. I will tell you this much I know my pickup runs way better that any 400+hp pickup that I have ridden in. SOP meter feels real good too. I guess I will have to sit back and be the low man on the totem pole until I can prove it on Dunbar’s dyno. I am ok with that. I have 250,000 miles on my motor and I would imagine that I will have a new one before I head back east.

Ok back to the subject at hand tire size will help only on some dyno’s like on light weight dynojet it will load the motor a little bit more. I however have not had a problem with the light weight rollers on some dynojets. It seams that the VE pump will flow down low and some of the p-pumps wont. I was real close to a friend of mines p-pump until we went to a dyno day with a light weight roller dynojet he lost almost 100 hp from the dyno that he tuned his motor on. He couldn’t even get it to spool his best run was with the emergency brake on because he forgot to pull the lever.

Stomp
93W250CTD,7 isspro gauges,Piers stage 2+ ported/polished/o-ringed head,ARP 12mm studs,ATS 3 piece,Custom twins by Brad @ Ponci's Diesel Center BTH3B/26 w/Piers HX40/16, custom 4"exhaust/ intake by Brad@ PDC,370's,KTA-Special 14mm Head/Rotor
Stomp
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks for the input Stomp.
I think he didn't load it enough. He had 25% to start, and my truck just died right out. Then he set it down to 10%. The other thing is, last fall he started the run at 30mph, and this time 35. I think he said he loaded it 5mph into the run. Like stomp said, VE likes it down low. I wonder if not enough load, and too high up in rpms.

Bill, hose from Intake Hoses .com. Regular rubber, but thick! About 40psi, I think. I was watching the tach, and not the other guages. I just sent them an e-mail asking what that hose is rated at. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Cschafer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:13 pm

there was a big thread on comp d about making mustang numbers match, it can be done but there are too many variables, like tire size for instance. So the numbers can and usually are differnt becuause of setup differences. Dyno jet's are simple the computer knows that the drums weigh 6,000 and it calculates how fast you acclerate that weight. It's not the best way of doing it but it can't be changed, (easily). So numbers are comparible ACROSS THE COUNTRY other then correction factors and atmospheric conditions. You want big numbers load 248 software on dynojets motercycle dyno. :shock:

Stomp what are your best numbers on a dyno jet if you don't mind.
90 W250,bank$ intercooled,I.I. Silver Bulit, 38mm ex. gate, a-1000 supply, 6x.018's, MIA AFC lever, 366 spring, 2 stages of laughing gas, 486/1005 on the gas. sold
91 w250 wrecker
Cschafer
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:45 pm

I got an e-mail back from the guy at the hose place. 15psi is max on that. It's a suction hose. Great, now I gotta go find a 2.5 to 3 silicone hose. :cry: I looked around quick last nite, didn't find one. :(
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby bgilbert » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:26 am

Pete, that same site has them: http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mercha ... _Code=RSS1

Are they good to deal with? I'm thinking about ordering some clamps from them, maybe a few other things.

Only thing I don't like about their silicone hoses, they are cut to 3" long. Is that enough? I generally buy a stick of 2.5" silicone hose, either in a one foot or 3 feet tube and cut it to the way I need it. You might be able to talk them into cutting you one to a specific size... maybe?....

Still have your stock intake horn? I need one now, I'm in a pinch.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:51 pm

Bill, how did you find that? :shock: I looked thru there and didn't find them.
I thought they were great to deal with. Shipped the stuff pretty quick. When I asked about the pressure rating, I had an answer the next day. I would order more from them. Only bad thing I see is they're in Washington.
All the places I have looked the reducer hoses were 3" long. I wasn't really impressed with that either. I don't know if they'll cut longer. Don't wanna buy another stick?
The stock horn will be on the way monday, unless you say no. House or shop?
Oh, how many bolts you need with it?
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby bgilbert » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:51 am

PToombs wrote:The stock horn will be on the way monday, unless you say no. House or shop?
Oh, how many bolts you need with it?

Pete you are the man, I don't care what Daniel says about you ;) :lol: !

Shop will be fine. Or whichever one you still have the address for 8) .

Most likely in my Cummins bolt drawer I should have the bolts. If you don't need them or have multiples of them, might as well throw them in the box too, just in case;). Thanks bud.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:23 pm

You sent 3 to me, so that's all I gots extra. I'll have to check and see which addy I have, both I think.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Competition