47rh

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: 47rh

Postby txs » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:14 am

mark, they didn't make a distinct input shaft for the diesel, there were only lockup and non lockup. there was only one valve body in any given MY, and any non electronic governor O/D valve body will bolt on any O/D case. the VB for the diesel just has a couple springs and maybe the limit body that are different than the gasser VBs. Where you would run into the most trouble would be mixing and matching the steel separator and transfer plates, some had check balls in certain spots and some didn't and were distinct between lockup and non. 727, 518 and 47rh and re all shared the same clutch retainers IF the gasser had the 4 plate clutches. There was only one intermediate shaft. Really, the only distinctly different parts for the diesel in the 518s and 727s was the case (except for v-10), the gov weights, the pump rotors, and in the early diesels, the pump housing, these had larger lube circuit, but after a while they figured out just use the bigger lube circuit pumps in everything. In the gasser trannies, the lockup and non lockup versions shared the same case, that is why it is possible to make any of them lockup.
93 w250 6 speed 4" exhaust, caution, work truck, she's no beauty. building 1 ton dually 4x4, dana 80, 48rh, 205 Scratch the one ton, bought frt. dually 4x4 98 12 valve with the tiny rear doors. rides so much better than the 93.
txs
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:50 am

Tom,
I figured the inputs are the same without regard to gas or diesel, but are different from lock-up non non-lock up.

So, the V-10 transmission cases are different from a diesel, internally?
All I know is I have a '94 V-10 4wd and a '97 V-10 4wd transmissions and I get conflicting reports on whether they are buildable to use behind a diesel or not.
One guy went as far as to say they don't hold up behind the diesels the same, but my feeling is that if they are built with the diesel parts, what the hell is the difference?

Most of the guys tearing into these things are going to do modifications from stock, anyway.

Is it worth grabbing the V-8 Lock-up RH trannies for donor parts?
I see a lot of them.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby CAJUN 93 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:12 am

thanks txs, thats what i needed to know. i'll soon be building a 47rh 4wd unit. i will use the best parts i can afford. really just wanna build it once.

and yeah that o/d spring is an animal. i've got a shop here in town that will let me use their fixture to remove and install it. i'de hate to see one break loose and take off. :shock:

thanks again
daryl
93 d350 5spd 3.54-bhaf,stg iv,banks intercooler,bosch185,16cm,pacbrake,4" straight exh,pump mods,366 spring,leece-neville alt.
hers- 93 d250 auto 3.54- pump mods only
ours- 93 w350 dually, auto, 3.54. stock for now
parts 93 d350 auto, 92 d250 auto.
CAJUN 93
14mm rotor

Postby CaseyF » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm going to bring back an old thread here. Can somebody please explain to me what all is needed to convert an A518 to a 47rh? I know you need the converter, adapter plate, starter, and some kind of linkage, what else is needed? I have to rebuild mine anyways, so I'm gonna be putting new clutches, bands, and etc in there also.
1992 W350 flat bed. GlowShift Gauges, 3.54 gear, Full Power Screw bottomed, DennyT Pump Top Delete, 366 GSK, Custom CAI, Pro Comp fuel pump, DE 4'' Exhaust, 14cm Exhaust Housing, Getrag.
CaseyF
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 am

The shifter linkage needs to be moved back an inch on the frame. I don't know what you have to do to your transfer case linkage because I have a 2wd. The 47RH block plate is 1" thicker so you may have to shorten the rear driveshaft and lengthen the front one. Search txs's threads, he's said what it takes a few times but it's way over my head
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Transmission