Repairing the indents on the factory column shifter...

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Repairing the indents on the factory column shifter...

Postby Begle1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:34 pm

I'm in the habit of manually shifting my transmission...

Today 1st gear got pretty stiff; I had to put more pressure on the stick than usual to go from 2nd to 1st or from 1st to 2nd. Concerning but driveable.

Then I went down into 1st when I parked, and when I went to go to park the shifter was stuck... I had to wiggle it for a couple seconds to free it. Like it was somehow wedged.

It worked fine after that, still a little hard though...

So how does one "rebuild" the indents on the shifter? I think mine are on their last legs... I take it that'd be the problem?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby sdstriper » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:58 am

Does it shift now without that "detent feel", smooth thru the gears without the "indent" at each position (PRND2L)? If so it sure could be the spring and ball that normally ride in the "rooster comb" have popped out of place in the VB. The comb is staked or peened on the manual shaft, when it get's loose or if it does the ball can come out of place. The ball and spring should make it to the magnet in the pan, Hopefully...
1989 D250, 727, 3.07, BHAF, 4" exhaust, Usual Suspect Gauges, tuned VE, OSPP
sdstriper
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:10 am

When I shift it, it finds the gear just fine; only the shifter is getting harder to move, and yesterday it decided to get really stuck in 1st gear somehow.

It could be the ball that's gummed up, but if that's the deal there'd be equal resistance between all the shifts.

Isn't there something in the column that the shifter rides against that might be going sloppy?

Although... It might be a more serious problem in the tranny and it really doesn't want to go into 1st...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby sdstriper » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Check the linkage under the cab, there's a couple of plastic bushings and 3 or 4 plastic grommets, hopefully it is just the gear shift control rod(s)and/or torque shaft binding up.
1989 D250, 727, 3.07, BHAF, 4" exhaust, Usual Suspect Gauges, tuned VE, OSPP
sdstriper
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission