NP205 problems

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

NP205 problems

Postby nooblet » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:43 pm

I'm not sure where to put transfer case issues, so I put it here. Please let me know if this is not the correct place and I'll delete this and move it, or if a Mod could move it that would be great.

My transfer case crapped out on me the other day...I heard very loud rattling and snapping. I took it down and tore it apart and this is what I found. This is the np205 off my CTD.

Rear output - Is there supposed to be something where I've circled? It seems like there should be...

Rear of front output. That dowel pin looking piece is the shifter pin I believe.

So...do I need a new housing? I don't see how that broke, but there were small pieces of cast iron in the housing. No broken gears, no broken bearings. I guess the sound I heard was that piece of metal riding and binding in the gears? I'm not sure what I should do, what do you guys think?

Chris
1990 W250 4X4 / PODs / 366 Spring / BHAF / Lockers / 35" BFG MTs / Getrag / Valair Ceramic / 3.54:1's / Phantom II Boost/Pyro / Muffler Delete

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" --T.Roosevelt
nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby KTA » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:25 am

Looks like the shift rail got bottomed out hard and broke the housing? I dont see any problems with running it like that though.
Fleet of Junk: 1989 D350 627rwhp 1300 tq B-1/Hx60 twins, KTA pump/injectors, ported head, BIG fuel supply. 13.75@ 109.5mph 1/4: 1992 W350 Cab-chasis, 1993 W350 ext cab cust.370 inj Hx40/16cm 290rwhp hydroboost brakes,1984 D350 crew-cab another project.
KTA
diesel guru/mod

Postby nooblet » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:02 pm

Come to find out that little chip below the shift rail is supposed to be like that so oil can get slung up into that shaft. I found some metal on the magnet in the t-case, so my plan is to clean everything out real good, rebuild it, and see if that fixes it.

After cleaning some of the bearings real good and spinning them I think I found a couple bad ones. And I found a spring off a double lip seal on the magnet among the other shards of metal, so at some point a seal got blown. This explains the lack of gear oil in the t-case :shock:

There is already a really good write up on rebuilding a np205, and they are pretty simple anyway...so I'll prolly just post a couple pictures of it here and there.

Here is the write up on the np205 rebuild

rebuild

I got my rebuild kit here

rebuild kit

Chris
1990 W250 4X4 / PODs / 366 Spring / BHAF / Lockers / 35" BFG MTs / Getrag / Valair Ceramic / 3.54:1's / Phantom II Boost/Pyro / Muffler Delete

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby nooblet » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 pm

Wow, I can't believe it took this long. I just put my NP205 back in my truck after spending the last two days installing the rebuild kit. The kit took 3 weeks to get here! :(

I'm gonna take some pictures of it and post them up tomorrow. I painted it blue, as close to color of the blue cummins emblems as I could find.

Drove it today, shifts through all the gears, no oil leaks, no bad sounds, I don't want to speak too early, but it looks like I successfully completed my first np205 rebuild :mrgreen:

Chris

PS: if you have to rebuild your np205 DO NOT order a kit from Canada :roll:

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby nooblet » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:41 pm

Pictures of my pretty BLUE np205 after the rebuild!

My rear output seal is leaking, other than that the rebuild went well.

Chris

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission