47RH swap FINALLY

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: 47RH swap FINALLY

Postby cmann250 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:09 am

classiccarjack wrote:Tomorrow I go on the road trip to see what I got. I am hoping for the best.

Did your transmission fail shortly after you installed it? Or did I read that wrong? And did you fix it back up? What parts do you recommend if I need a rebuild? Is there a supplier of robust parts out there? I know a lot about 727's and the gasoline A518's, but not much about these..... This is my first rodeo... So to speak, my first diesel experience.

The transmission I bought was a good deal, but an unknown condition. It let go after a while and at the time I was intimidated at the thought of rebuilding it.

If I remember correctly, your power goal is around 300hp and 600 lb ft of torque. I would say a good converter and shift kit would be sufficient. You may want to look into a steel front planetary, as I've heard the aluminum ones failing with added power.

Let me look around. I had a parts list for the 518 I built and most parts are the same. I could email that to you for reference.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby classiccarjack » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:40 am

That would be wonderful, thank you.

My email Addy is classiccarjack@gmail.com
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby classiccarjack » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:57 am

cmann250 wrote:
classiccarjack wrote:Tomorrow I go on the road trip to see what I got. I am hoping for the best.

Did your transmission fail shortly after you installed it? Or did I read that wrong? And did you fix it back up? What parts do you recommend if I need a rebuild? Is there a supplier of robust parts out there? I know a lot about 727's and the gasoline A518's, but not much about these..... This is my first rodeo... So to speak, my first diesel experience.

The transmission I bought was a good deal, but an unknown condition. It let go after a while and at the time I was intimidated at the thought of rebuilding it.

If I remember correctly, your power goal is around 300hp and 600 lb ft of torque. I would say a good converter and shift kit would be sufficient. You may want to look into a steel front planetary, as I've heard the aluminum ones failing with added power.

Let me look around. I had a parts list for the 518 I built and most parts are the same. I could email that to you for reference.

Thanks again for the email. I think it will come in handy if my A618 goes belly up on me after I install it.
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Dodge Dually Nut » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:42 am

Hi Cman

New member here. I'm contemplating doing what you've done, 47RH into a 91.5 8 in frame reg cab 2 wheel drive. There is a doner truck that has trans, trans mount and complete drive shaft. your original list of stuff that you started with was ( -47RH plus converter-Adapter plate-Starter and flexplate ) . What did you mean about adapter plate? Is that the one that bolts to the engine and the trans bolts to it? If so I can not get that from the doner truck because engine has all ready been pulled. It appears that the install gets a little longer, will the trans clear the tunnel? I'm currently being stopped with putting in a 5 speed trans with transfer case because of the narrow tunnel I have on my 91.5. I know this is an old thread but I can't PM you because I'm a new member. Hope you see this.
Dodge Dually Nut
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:58 am

Caleb isn't on much these days. Yes you will need the adapter plate that bolts onto the block. You will also need the 2nd gen starter. The rear driveshaft needs to be shortened. The 47rh will fit in the transmission tunnel. It's roughly 1" longer than the 518.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Dodge Dually Nut » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks! I'm going to give my 5 speed On more shot tonight and then maybe I'm converting. Stay tuned.
Dodge Dually Nut
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Dodge Dually Nut » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:49 am

5 speed made it in last night!! So I'm not going to go with the 47RH. If any body is interested there is a 2 wheel diesel 1994 with the engine gone and a 47RH and drive shaft in the grand rapids Michigan area on craigs list. If you can't find it and are really interested let me know. Some how I will help you connect with the owner. Its got 30k on a rebuild and the guy was asking $300 for the trans. Not sure what he wants for the drive shaft.
Dodge Dually Nut
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Transmission