HELP PLEASE!!!! Getrag shift issues W/PICTURES!!!!

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

HELP PLEASE!!!! Getrag shift issues W/PICTURES!!!!

Postby 1990BamaCummins » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey guys, ive tried searching on here and cant find anything yet so i asking for a little help before im in over my head.

I just picked up a getrag 4x4 for my truck. Im doing an auto to manual swap.

My question is that shifting through the gears (trans out of truck) the trans sticks in 5th but will pop out if you tug on it with a little force (not like your going to rip the shifter off though)

Is this going to be a big problem or easy fix while the trans is out?

I dont want to put this trans in and have to take it back out.

The guy i bought it from drove the truck and said that it shifted great (no grinding, hard shifts etc) but 5th was sticky.

Well i just got it today and playing with it in the garage it stuck in 5th, then i got it out and now its stuck in 4th and i dont want to mess anything up or create a bigger problem, nor put it in the truck and have to take it back out to fix it.

So if you guys could help i would greatly appreciate it.

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dodge Makes it Cummins Shakes it!!!
1990BamaCummins
fuel screw!!!!

Re: HELP PLEASE!!!! Getrag shift issues W/PICTURES!!!!

Postby 1990BamaCummins » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Ok i took the top cover off and shifter out. It seems that i can only get the left side and center forks to move (trans facing forward like it was in the truck). I cant move any of the gears in the trans but this is the first manual trans ive looked at beside replacing clutches.

Also it looks like the input shaft maybe twisted a little. The clutch disc wont slide all the way down either. The trans came out of a running, driving truck and everything worked fine except taking it outta 5th gear so i dont know if the input shaft is goin to be a prob or not?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990BamaCummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ahale2772 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:22 am

is it just me or can I not zoom in on the pictures?

that roll pin you are pointing at is supposed to stick down, dont ask me why but if you knock it back up it will not allow the shifter to go in...found that out the hard way.

no offence but looks like you bought a dud, shifting issues could just be related to the top cover, ive had no experience with the mechanics of a top cover, but refurbished ones are available.

you going to need a new input if it is bent, no sence in throwing it together and finding out that your clutch wont release... ect ect. allthrough usually it wont twist on the area where the clutch rides, but just behind it.

either way I would replace it, but if you do you are going to want to check the preload on the whole trans once you press a bearing on to a new input, and if your pulling everything apart you may as well do new bearings and synchros. thats probably personal opinion stuff but you need to remove the main cluster to pull the input anyways, and there is little to no sence in pressing an old bearing back on to the input if a rebuild kit is 180 bucks. Peice of mind IMO
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:36 pm

The shift forks will be stiff to move by hand when out of the truck. I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the shift cover, but this tablet isn't cooperating, so I can't click on the photos to get a larger version. In my experience, the top cover just needs to be disassembled, and cleaned, then reassembled with a good deal of assembly lube/ oil. Make sure you have two set screws that go into the side of the shift tower. If one is missing or loose, it can cause issues with 1-2 or 5-R shifting.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby 1990BamaCummins » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:54 pm

ahale2772,

Thanks for the input, im probably going to have a local trans shop throw a new input shaft in there before i out it in and have them check it over before i do the install.

What about the roll pin? Could i hit it in some or cut it shorter or put a shorter one in it? I cant see that bein good rubbin the gear ya know?
Last edited by 1990BamaCummins on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990BamaCummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1990BamaCummins » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:59 pm

dpuckett,

Thanks for ur input. Idk why my pictures arent working, sorry.

The 2 screws on the tower where both loose. So that could be my problem with the shifting? It never ground goin in or out of gear from the truck it was in. I hope its just somethin simple. What about the roll pin sticking down and rubbin 2nd or 3rd gear i believe? Can i hit it back up or cut it shorter or put a shorter one in it? I cant see that being good rubbin the gear.
1990BamaCummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ahale2772 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:50 am

is it hitting 1st/2nd gear? I know mine does not, I tapped it up then could not get my shifter in when i was buttoning up the job, so i looked down the tower and wacked it back down flush (sticking out down bottom), I dont thing its that close to the gear, I would leave it alone.

and yes if one of those screws on the lower is loose it may jam up the shifter
84 CCLB W350 project
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby 1990BamaCummins » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Yea its hittin one of the bigger gears towards the front of the trans. Im gonna try hittin it in or cuttin it shorter or puttin a shorter one in it so its not rubbin gears or in the way of my shifter.
1990BamaCummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby JustinRhodes » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Glad to see ya made it over here. This place has been a lot more help than cumminsforum for me. Hope you get your trans figured out and swapped in soon. Give me a call if you got any questions.
91 Dodge W250 Pee Pumped Cummings
JustinRhodes
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ahale2772 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:09 am

im surprised its hitting... I would only tap it up untill its flush with the rail when looking down throught the tower, other than that you will need to cut it
84 CCLB W350 project
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby 1990BamaCummins » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Yea, i got it in there, tapped it up flush so i can still get the shifter in. It still hangs down but doesnt rub the gear. It shifts through all the gears great and even 5th but if you dont hold over to the right while taking it out of 5th is when it will stick in 5th.

As soon as you push over on it and pull back it feels normal. I think the top cover is worn out, and looking inside the trans i think it has been rebuilt before being that there is silicone gasket maker on all the sealing parts, top cover, front and rear input covers, pto covers etc and the bearings and sycrhos look great. Im taking it to my trans guy monday to see what he thinks.
1990BamaCummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1990BamaCummins » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:41 pm

JustinRhodes wrote:Glad to see ya made it over here. This place has been a lot more help than cumminsforum for me. Hope you get your trans figured out and swapped in soon. Give me a call if you got any questions.

Yep, ive been on here for awhile now just havent used it much. Thanks for chiming in and thanks for your help and communication.
1990BamaCummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1990BamaCummins » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:51 pm

I havent been on here for a long time but im finally goin to finish my rebuild. I can't seem to find a very good build thread on here. It was a very detailed build on the getrag.

I'm going to finish my getrag rebuild here soon. Project started about 3 yrs ago and got put off for many reasons. Truck was originally auto and swapping it to 5spd. Everything is complete except for getrag rebuild.

I bought the trans used and tore it apart to rebuild it. Plan on buying everything from zbag.com I had bought a reman shift tower from a member on cumminsforum

I just want to know the link on here if anyone knows it. I don't remember users name either but it was very detailed and lots of pictures.

Any other info on rebuilding this would be greatly appreciated. I know to overfill the oil in the trans but don't know what oil I should use in it. Just did my fiancé nv4500 in her 24v truck and used 5 qts of the synchro - expensive fluid.

Thanks guys.
1990BamaCummins
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission