Getrag Input Modification

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Getrag Input Modification

Postby ellis93 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:26 am

Horus wrote:Great topic. I have a few thoughts/questions.

So nobody is producing an American made input shaft anymore? Does that go for the nv4500 and 5600 crowd too?.

I don't know about the other two but on this one I search hard and found one in california for 3x as much as I'm willing to pay:x
Horus wrote:I've seen the idea of machining the input to accept a race for the pocket bearing. Does anyone have a part # for a pocket bearing and race? Seems like a great way to keep an original German shaft in place after a rebuild. .

I've thought of that but my main problem with it is the whole failure thing. Even with a race pressed it it'll still have the bearing chunk up on you

Horus wrote:I cannot wrap my head around machining more oil grooves into the input. If anything I would be more motivated to weld up the one it comes with. If I'm not mistaken we overfill our Getrags to keep the upper bearings submerged partially in oil. This includes the pocket bearing. The input shaft is always spinning. I don't see how any oil could make it through the slot and into the bearing before it is wicked away by centrifical force. The oil has a far better chance of getting into the bearing if it is pooling against the bearing assembly on the mainshaft side..

The one of the main reasons behind another slot in it is so there will be a way for some waste to escape. Upon dissassembly there was a bunch of build up. Looked and felt like valve grinding compound. More than likely some of it was from the input and bearing but there was some brass in there as well

Horus wrote:Maybe if you spotted and drilled some small holes in the saame area and angled them through the shaft at about a 45 degree angle. If they were angled toward the direction of rotation they might act to pull the oil through as the shaft spins, like an impeller.

That is a pretty interesting idea there man. I'm going to think on that
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby bgilbert » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:39 am

I thought the pocket bearing failures were due to the low factory fill of 3.5 quarts? Overfilling cured the issue?
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:57 am

Mine lasted 110k before taking a dump on me,that's pretty good but I want better from it.
I think the fuild level helps but there's still the build up. Why's that there? Is it burnt oil? Chewed steel?
It couldn't pass it,so it ate the bearing and worn the input till it had too much slack?
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:14 pm

The bearing kit comes with a race for the pocket bearing. I looked at it carefully thinking about machining and installing the outer race in the shaft and decided it couldn't be done. There is not enough material there to support it after machining.
If somebody made a new shaft assembly with a larger area on that end it could be done.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Transmission