A/C Condenser Tranny Cooler

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

A/C Condenser Tranny Cooler

Postby Begle1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:50 pm

So I got my A/C condenser plumbed into my transmission lines now.

The core lines on the condenser are a tad smaller than the lines on the transmission cooler.

The question is, even though I'm seeing drops in ATF temperature, is it possible that the condenser is doing more harm than good by increasing pressure or decreasing fluid flow? How would I know?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Pressure is easy, plumb in a gauge. Put it in ahead of the cooler, then run it over a known course. Bypass the cooler, drive it again. It should be obvious pretty quick.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:29 pm

But would increased pressure be that bad? How much of a pressure increase would there need to be for the cooler to be considered a liability?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Good question! I would think much above stock would be bad. If the rest of the system is stock, it will really tell if the pressure is up. I guess a few lbs over stock might be ok, but how do you know?
The important thing is flow. If pressure is up, flow is probably down, due to the restriction. Flow is what gets the cool oil there. If it is restricted, the cool oil can't get there fast enough to cool the trans.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:20 pm

PToombs wrote:Good question! I would think much above stock would be bad. If the rest of the system is stock, it will really tell if the pressure is up. I guess a few lbs over stock might be ok, but how do you know?
The important thing is flow. If pressure is up, flow is probably down, due to the restriction. Flow is what gets the cool oil there. If it is restricted, the cool oil can't get there fast enough to cool the trans.

I think I'm going to make a call to Mr. Goerend tomorrow...
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:24 pm

Good idea! I don't play with autos unless I have to. :cry:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:19 pm

According to the Dave Goerend, any cooling stuff you add to the ATF plumbing is fine as long as you can maintain 2-3 quarts of flow in 30 seconds with the transmission idling in Drive.

I measured the flow rate after the canister cooler and A/C condenser and right before the stock tranny cooler; with the transmission line in a milk jug I got 3.3 quarts in 30 seconds.

I don't think that the stock cooler would restrict the flow much farther below that, so I think the set-up is functional.

So that means I get to post pictures now without the danger of looking like a moron (or, more of a moron than usual).
Begle1
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission