tranny bands

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

tranny bands

Postby gomerpile » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:46 pm

ok so i was reading my manual :oops: :o the other day and it said every 12,000 mile your supposed to adjust the bands in the tranny. anyone do this, how do i. and what does it do?
1992 Dodge D-250 LE auto, LSD w/3.54, about 200,000+ miles.Isspro Pyrometer , Sunpro tach,Tractor Supply Boost Gauge, Old Smokey Fuel Pin,4 turns on fun srew, starwheel turn CCW 1 turn, 40hp injectors, BHAF,16 cm housing.Sony Head Unit.
gomerpile
fuel screw!!!!

bands

Postby wingnuts0nr » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:52 pm

I have adjusted them on my friends A518 tranny when we put in the new VB and T/C,, the tranny is done with fluid pressure, when the valve body shifts it sends fluid to a servo, thus the servo pushes a rod that clamps the front and rear bands, as these clamp down they also wear on the drum thus causing more clearance.. does this make sence?
to adjust the front band you can do it from the outside just above the shift linkage where it goes into the tranny, if you loosen up the lock nut torque the square headed bolt to I think 75 inch pounds and then back out 2 turns. then retighten the lock nut.. the rear band is internal and I believe you need to remove the valve body to get to it. but it is the same procedure.. I am not 100% sure on all this but it will get you started, I will be back home on thursday the 27th and if you haven't figured it out by then PM me and i will get my O/H manual and give it to you step by step.
Hope this helps
'88 GM 1T 4dr Dually with 91.5 IC Cummins KDP, P-pump all new Issapro gauges(speedo to tranny temp) HTT62-13 turbo, Injectors to come. O-ringed head by Rip, ARP head studs,Suncoast TC and Valve body...
wingnuts0nr
fuel screw!!!!

Postby gomerpile » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:32 pm

will doing this do anything for performance or is it just a tranny "life" type thing?
1992 Dodge D-250 LE auto, LSD w/3.54, about 200,000+ miles.Isspro Pyrometer , Sunpro tach,Tractor Supply Boost Gauge, Old Smokey Fuel Pin,4 turns on fun srew, starwheel turn CCW 1 turn, 40hp injectors, BHAF,16 cm housing.Sony Head Unit.
gomerpile
fuel screw!!!!

tranny

Postby wingnuts0nr » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:49 pm

That all depends on how bad the bands are slipping, If you have metal in the tranny filter then your bands are wearing, However this will not make a noticable "performance" enhancement, espessially if you still are running a stock T/C and VB. and most likely slipping in the tranny would be from the stock T/C.. :!:
Does this help?
'88 GM 1T 4dr Dually with 91.5 IC Cummins KDP, P-pump all new Issapro gauges(speedo to tranny temp) HTT62-13 turbo, Injectors to come. O-ringed head by Rip, ARP head studs,Suncoast TC and Valve body...
wingnuts0nr
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission