TransGO kit install While I'm in there!?????

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

TransGO kit install While I'm in there!?????

Postby earthdad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Installing TransGo diesel kit in my 92 a518. The new accumulator spring is waaaaay stronger than the original. It's also shorter than the one I took out. I did not find an upper spring in there. Transgo manual say there may or may not be one. (Does'nt mean there was'nt, maaybe it fell off into the abyss) Is there a way to tell whether I had one or not? I am having thoughts that the stock plastic accum won't take the pressure. It seems somewhat brittle. Is that what the steel or billet accums are for? Is there something else I should fortify while I'm there? The Trans is still installed.

Lotsa ??'s I maybe over-analyzing.
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Re: TransGO kit install While I'm in there!?????

Postby ellis93 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Unless your going to jack the pressures up really high then your fine With the old piston. Its not a bad idea to change it tho,I've not seen one bust,then again I've not done Trans rebuilds as long as some. The 2nd spring your not seeing is hit and miss in these Trans,don't worry about it,some had them some didn't. Mostly the gas burners had it and I've seen them in the 618s a time or two.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby earthdad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks Ellis. I'm trying to decide on step 2. "For normal use skip this step" "If later throttle on up-shifts are desired install new GREEN TV spring."

What is throttle on up-shift?
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:04 am

Trans will shift at higher RPMs is how I take it :scratch:

FWIW,I've never bypassed that spring and haven't had any complaints from a customer yet. I do it and forget it
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby slow_90firebird » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:16 pm

earthdad wrote:"If later throttle on up-shifts are desired install new GREEN TV spring."

What is throttle on up-shift?

To me, I would interpret that to mean, that when the throttle valve lever is depressed (aka you have the gas pedal to the floor or close to it), the transmission will shift at a later RPM than it would from the factory... for me I would probably install that spring because I also have the 3200RPM governer spring in the injector pump so the motor makes power to a higher RPM.

If the injector pump is stock, maybe you should skip that step. I remember when my truck was all stock, the engine would defuel before the transmission would shift to the next gear.

I really know nothing about trannys though, thats just what I would take it to mean the way theu wrote it.
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dunes450r » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:44 pm

you might not want the higher rpm shifts too. when i had my auto and went WFO (with the same shift kit you'r lookin at) it would wind out until it was running out of power (defueling with a 3200 spring) then sit ya back in the seat a little when it shifted and was back to full fuel and lower r's
1990 W250 getrag, 3.07's, 60k on full rebuild, DAP 5x14's, 12cm WG, 366 spring, 2nd gen IC not hooked up yet
dunes450r
fuel screw!!!!

Postby earthdad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:25 am

Hey dunes450r, So, with the 366 spring It wasn't enough rpm for the green spring? Did you have fuel turned up or bigger lift pump and the injectors in your sig? I happen to be at a step to put this in right now. I am going to put 366 spring in, injectors and a lift pump.
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dunes450r » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:49 am

the problem is i don't remember the install in detail enough to know if i put the green spring in or not. i have a stock lift pump, 366, PODs (marine injectors) which about equal a turn or 2 on the fuel screw with stock injectors, and the fuel pin turned. depending on your kickdown cable adjustment could change your results. i liked the way mine shifted if i accelerated at about 3/4 throttle because at full throttle it would shift too late for my likings and even with the 366 it was beginning to defuel before the next shift. if the interpretation of the green spring is correct (it makes it shift higher in the rpm during full throttle acceleration) i would leave it out because i didn't the high rpm shifts.

how does your trans shift stock? do you like the shift points? the shift kit will firm up your shifts which is all i was really going for.
1990 W250 getrag, 3.07's, 60k on full rebuild, DAP 5x14's, 12cm WG, 366 spring, 2nd gen IC not hooked up yet
dunes450r
fuel screw!!!!

Postby earthdad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:06 am

I cant say what I thought of how the truck shifted. I only drove it home after purchase about 300miles on highway. Then I started taking it apart and finding weak spots(steering, king pins, front spring hangers etc.....) I do know the fluid didnt smelll burnt, looked super clean, and trans didn't slip, or feel sloppy. Those are some of the reasons I put the shift kit in, as I was of the understanding, that "the kit" promoted healthier circulation and could aid in it's longevity.
I just finished the install of the kit couple days ago. I did install the green spring. When talking with Jim at transGo he suggested against it. When I told him I was raising usable rpms, he said you could put it in, but did warn of the diesels low rpm. I had to do some light grinding on my new pan and some of the vb for fittment.
I guess this will be a good learning experience to "dial in" the mods when It's all together.
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DodgeFreak » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 am

What did you have to grind?
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby earthdad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Some ot the inside of the pan where the bolts go through, and a little taper on the back lower corner ot the valve body. I was a dead spot on the vb I had to taper with a dremel. The cast aluminum pan I had was thicker. I was'nt much, but I was enough to cause a misalignment of the new washers in their seats.
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii4 ... 4cda41.jpg
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:20 pm

When did pods become Marine injector?
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby earthdad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 am

:scratch:
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dunes450r » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:24 pm

oldestof11 wrote:When did pods become Marine injector?

the PO of my pickup worked for a marine diesel company and told me that my pickup had "marine" injectors when i bought it that were a little bigger than the stock sticks. i found a receipt amongst a bunch that he gave me for 6 injectors on it, so i googled the part number and they came back as rebuilt PODs
dunes450r
fuel screw!!!!

Postby earthdad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:21 am

Got it done? I'm glad I put the green tv spring in. I do run out of rpm (and fuel probably maybe even boost?) before the trans wants me too. But Its not harsh. My fist impression is the trans is more responsive. The shifts seem to correspond to how heavy I hit the pedal, almost like it knows what I want to do.
I overfilled the trans fluid, I think, gunna check in the morning.
One thing I noticed it there is a loud "clunk" from the trans somewhere whhen I shut the truck off. The engine shuts down rough anyways, but just a fraction of a second after thhe engine stops, there is a clunk in the trans. Torque Converter? Ring gear?? Overfilling anomaly?
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Next

Return to Transmission