Getrag 360 Not Going In Gear

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Getrag 360 Not Going In Gear

Postby COOTER » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:53 pm

I'll Try To Make This As Short As Possible...1992 Dodge D350, Ext. Cab Dually, 2WD, 5 Speed, Centurion Conversion Package, Built Out The Wazoo P-Pumped Cummins 12V. Truck Has Stupid Power, Has Broken 5 Input Shafts In The Last 3 Years...This Last Time It Broke, We Found A Used G360 Cheaper Than A New Input, Bearing, Bearing Retainer, & Tailshaft Housing Would Cost. Installed New Center Section In Both Clutch's As This Is A South Bend Double Disc Due To Splines Being Chewed Up. Got Everything Put Back Together, Started The Truck, & Found Transmission Would Not Go In Gear w/ Truck Running & Clutch To The Floor. At Times You Can Force It In Gear, But If Your Foot Is Not On The Brake, The Vehicle Will Begin Pulling. I Forced It Into 2nd & Drove It Up The Road To Make Sure It Wasn't The Transmission Itself, & It Shifted Into All Forward Gears, As For Slowing Down, & Downshifting...Not So Much.

I Found The Throwout Fork To Not Be Moving As Much As I Though, So Using A Pry Bar, I Moved Rearward While Someone Else Was Manning The Cab. They Said It Seemed To Go In Easier, But Force Was Still Needed. I Also Attempting Shimming The Slave Cylinder Rearward, But Same Results As The Pry Bar Appeared. I Broke Down & Bought A Complete Hydraulic Assembly, Pre-bled, & Pre-filled. I Installed The Assembly Today, & Guess What??...Same Problem, No Difference...I'm Totally Lost At This Point? I'm Thinking Either The Throwout Bearing Is Junk, Or The Pilot Bearing Has Went South? I Inspected Both During Teardown, & Found Both To Be In Good Shape, At Least What I Consider Good Shape. Visually The Pilot Looked Fine, & Spun Freely, The Throwout Looked Fine As Well. I'm Wondering If It Could Be A Possible Throwout Fork Issue?...I'm At A Dead Loss, & Feel Like Rolling The SOB Off Into The Lake & Calling The Insurance Company...This Truck Has Been A Nightmare From Day 1...& By Day 1, I Mean Taking Ownership Of The Truck & Finding The Camshaft Broken In 4 Places...We Were Told It Needed A Lift Pump, & That's Why It Wouldn't Start...

Ever Since Then It's Been One Thing After Another...Hole In Radiator, ECM Burnt Up Forcing Install Of External Regulator For Charging, Input Shaft Breakage, This List Is Never Ending...I Think The Truck Has Been Driven Maybe, Maybe 3 Days In A Row w/o Having It Back On My Rack...Anybody Have Any Suggestions?...
Last edited by COOTER on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COOTER
fuel pin?

Re: Getrag 360 Not Going In Gear

Postby ellis93 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:44 pm

1st....welcome
2nd......sounds like you have air in your hydros or the clutch fork is bent,might possibly be something in the clutch. I'd try and bleed that slave out and see if ot pucks air,have somebody mash the pedal down and hold it,open the bleeder and mash back on the clutch fork till there is no more travel or no fluid runs out. While holding back on that fork,tighten the bleeder screw. Should be no air out of it at all

Check the pedal for slack too. The pin for the masters rod could be worn or its pivot bushings worn
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby COOTER » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:03 pm

After Further Research I Believe The Clutch Rod & Pivot Ball Are Junk. As For The Hydro, I Bled The Previous Unit w/ No Change, Which Led Me To Believe The Slave Rod Was At Fault, So Today I Installed A Brand New Pre-filled, Pre-bled Complete Master/Slave Unit. I'm Leaning Away From Air At This Point, & Focusing More On Internal Mechanical.
COOTER
fuel pin?

Postby ellis93 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:44 pm

I read what you wrote and I'd still make sure of there not being air in the hydros,the way parts are made these days I have very little faith in them.
It's very likely the forks bent,that huge wizz dang super dupper clutch could have bent it. After all its only stamped steel
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby COOTER » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Bled The System Again...Same Issue...Kentucky Clutch Is Sending Me A New Clutch Fork, Throwout Bearing, & Pivot Ball Assembly. Should Have It Back On The Road & Raising **** By Next Week, Depending On Customer Work Naturally. I'll Let Ya'll Know If That Literally, Get's Me In Gear ;-)
COOTER
fuel pin?

Postby Exekiel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:54 am

If the hydraulics are properly bleed and the PP is in good condition along with the fork and pivot ball it should shift fine, looks like You've checked everything. Do You mind telling how much was for the fork and pivot? I searched for this before and every one seems to want over $150 for just the fork.
1993 f350 with a 5.9l ctd and getrag
Exekiel
fuel screw!!!!

Postby lopez dodge » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:28 am

do the new centers on the clutches fit the fly wheel with out rubbing?
mine did somthing similar while back , found center section rubbing flywheel just enough to cause headaches.
1991.5 ..getrag super40. 40,horse injectors,4"to 6" exhaust , bhaf 2nd gen intake,custom pin timed to the head ..1/4 14.9@93mph 5,500' with a little propane
lopez dodge
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Did you install your clutch backwards?? I know it may sound stupid, and I'm not trying to be a a$$. But I know of two people that have done this. One of which is a very reputable ve person. The transmission will go into gear with the truck off. With it running though the clutch doesnt seem to disengage. Another thing. Don't get discouraged with your rig. I've sunk a ton of money into mine, and I'm still money ahead of my friends with ther new trucks.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Black93 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:19 am

Exekiel wrote:If the hydraulics are properly bleed and the PP is in good condition along with the fork and pivot ball it should shift fine, looks like You've checked everything. Do You mind telling how much was for the fork and pivot? I searched for this before and every one seems to want over $150 for just the fork.

I got my fork here, $75.50 plus shipping. Let me know if anyone orders from them, because they still send me coupon codes from time to time.

http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_catalog.html

I had already bought a pivot ball from quad 4x4.
1993 W350 LE ext. cab dually, tuned pump, 60mm HX35, NV4500, 4" straight tbe, 366, 1/8" bump, THD fuel pin & lppp, DPS manifold, DFI 5x12's, 3" tubes, PS IC, D80 rear, 3.54's, 4th gen Alcoas.
Black93
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 88Centurion » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:50 pm

I have a valair in my 96 and i had to go back in and adjust the forks to get mine to go in gear. I havent ever laid eyes on on a south bend but assume they are similar. Just a thought it may not be adjustable on that one though.
88Centurion
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Exekiel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Black93 wrote:
Exekiel wrote:If the hydraulics are properly bleed and the PP is in good condition along with the fork and pivot ball it should shift fine, looks like You've checked everything. Do You mind telling how much was for the fork and pivot? I searched for this before and every one seems to want over $150 for just the fork.

I got my fork here, $75.50 plus shipping. Let me know if anyone orders from them, because they still send me coupon codes from time to time.

http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_catalog.html

I had already bought a pivot ball from quad 4x4.

Thank You, I searched that site before and didn't find the fork but I see it now. :)
1993 f350 with a 5.9l ctd and getrag
Exekiel
fuel screw!!!!

Postby COOTER » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Wanted To Update Everybody....Sorry It's Been A While, But Business Has Kept Me Busy & I Was Just Recently Able To Get It Back Together. Long Story Short, KY Clutch Double Disc Splines & Centers Are Different Than South Bend Splines & Centers. Called & Talked w/ Peter & Manseil, They Suspected The Wrong Splines & Centers, & Asked Me To Mail Them Everything From The Flywheel Back. They Called Me 2 Days Later & Said That Their Assumption Was Correct, & They Would Correct The Issue. I received my upgraded clutch assembly 2 days later, re-installed everything, and *boom goes the dynamite* success! So far no transmission issues other than not having 4th, but will probably take care of that w/ the upcoming NV swap.
COOTER
fuel pin?

Return to Transmission