Overdrive not working in auto

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Overdrive not working in auto

Postby meby » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:18 pm

What are the common causes of overdrive not working in an 1st gen? I'm looking to buy a truck that the overdrive doesn't work on it.

Thanks,
-Matt
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Re: Overdrive not working in auto

Postby ellis93 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Tps,speed sensor,crank sensor(alt won't work nor the AC),fuse,solenoid
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:54 am

ellis93 wrote:Tps,speed sensor,crank sensor(alt won't work nor the AC),fuse,solenoid

thanks
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby Chuck Snider » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:44 am

I'd check the TPS first.. Sometimes you can get it working by taking it off and spraying electric cleaner in it while turning the "shaft".. I've heard of guys just giving the TPS a couple of taps with a light object and getting it working again.... Mine acts up every couple years and I just do the electric spray thing...
93W250 CC auto
92W250 CC NV4500
Chuck Snider
fuel screw!!!!

Postby meby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:39 am

I was looking at tps delete by dnr customs. Might do that if I buy the truck.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:09 am

we bought one that the od didn't work all other gears felt great turned out to be the piston seal blew which also took out the od clutches. We just yanked the od and installed new clutches and a new seal and put it back together and has been working great.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:36 pm

I don't think i'll buy the truck. My gut is telling me that the owner is telling me everything. The good news is i'll be looking at a 24v this weekend. :evil: :oops:
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 pm

What's good about that news? :shock: Does it have a 12 valve like your last one? If so, it may be ok. :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:53 pm

PToombs wrote:What's good about that news? :shock: Does it have a 12 valve like your last one? If so, it may be ok. :lol:

that I might find a truck. I sucks not to have one. I'm looking at a 1st gen too thats up in your neck of the woods (sort of). Its in potsdam. Its a 2wd so I would have to convert it to a 4x4, but its an extended cab 5spd. It would make a really nice truck.

I've looked at so many trucks that are NOT what people advertise them as. The one with the od not working was advertised as a running driving truck. Excuse me? A truck with a malfunctioning trans is not worth as much as one that works. There are a handful of people I would like to beat over the head with an organic carrot for their false advertising. Grr. :mad:
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Potsdam is about 3 hours north of me. Be warned, if it's a NY truck, it's rusty. Unless it came in from the south last week. In that case, it will be rusty by next week. Everything rusts here, the state DOT uses so much salt on the roads it's not even funny. I've been told by the guys at the DOT shops that they are supposed to put down 200lbs per lane mile. That's like 2- 5 gallon pails. I've seen it come off the trucks,and all I can say is BS! :bs:

Get lots of pics, especially of the underside, that will tell you right off how bad it is, look for pitting on the frame. Mine is all nice and painted and the frame is rougher than siht from rust pits. ;)
Good luck!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:29 am

Yeah. I haven't heard back from them in a couple days now. That's strike 4 or 5 now. I start asking a bunch of questions or for more pics and they are like oh, the o/d don't work or there are actually 2 new tires when the ad said the tires are new or it will have to be towed home or something. All stuff that should have been in the ad. ah well. Makes me think I'm only buying something I don't have to drive more than about 3 hours to pick up. That way I can just walk away without having spent a bunch just to look at it.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:54 pm

I've seen some "fair" deals on some 1st gen, E/C, 4x4, SRW trucks in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas lately.
Want me to go find you another rustfree one again? :roll:

I do a LOT of driving and I see stuff that never even sees Craigslist or any online venue.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Return to Transmission