Revmax converters?

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Revmax converters?

Postby Deathrod » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Has anyone tried a revmax? They are reasonable on price compared to goerend or the other major ones. I sent them an email asking questions about them and got "it will work great for you".....not the answer I was looking for, but of course they will always praise their own products. Looking for actual experience from someone who doesn't work there.....anyone????
1930 Model A, 91 non i/c, he351ve over ht3b, bagged all around, mostly built 47rh, 72 lpm sticks, 600hp/1400 ft lbs (cummins math), just needs traction
Deathrod
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Revmax converters?

Postby PToombs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:13 pm

It's one thing to brag up their product, but if they don't answer basic questions, then I'd stay away. There's a reason the others are expensive, they are quality units. Converters is one of the places that "You get what you pay for!" is very true.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Diesel » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:26 am

Im gonna play devils advocate and say that sometimes when an inquiry is asking too many questions (not sure what you asked) it can be a turn off to businesses. Back on topic: I haven't tried their converters and would love to find out more as well. Thanks for making this post.
1991.5 D250 Intercooled A518
Diesel
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:37 pm

When I'm not relying on my truck frequently, I have a Suncoast converter waiting to be installed. Eventually I'll post up my impressions. Here's my theory: At a relatively stock level, you may not be able to tell the difference between a $400 and a $700 converter. If you're well over 400 hp and your truck is in the 12s (i.e. BC847), I suspect the difference is beyond noticable. It's a theory of margins. The more expensive converters are better, no doubt. However, whether you and/or your vehicle are under the marginal level is up to you. It wouldn't be the first time an "inferior" product worked ;)

FWIW, I'm cheap, yet I have had really good luck finding deals on normally not cheap parts. Examples: Cummins low pressure piston pump, Suncoast converter, and turbos
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Revmax? Ain't that the stock converter?
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:48 pm

cmann250 wrote:When I'm not relying on my truck frequently, I have a Suncoast converter waiting to be installed. Eventually I'll post up my impressions. Here's my theory: At a relatively stock level, you may not be able to tell the difference between a $400 and a $700 converter. If you're well over 400 hp and your truck is in the 12s (i.e. BC847), I suspect the difference is beyond noticable. It's a theory of margins. The more expensive converters are better, no doubt. However, whether you and/or your vehicle are under the marginal level is up to you. It wouldn't be the first time an "inferior" product worked ;)

FWIW, I'm cheap, yet I have had really good luck finding deals on normally not cheap parts. Examples: Cummins low pressure piston pump, Suncoast converter, and turbos

You would be Suprised at how much of a difference a good aftermarket converter will make on even a relatively lightly modified truck. I've had my Specrite from 220hp, 255hp, 330hp, 350hp. Definitely worth it. When it was first installed the feeling was awesome. Truck had the perfect stall, cruised well, and when you tipped into the throttle it would rev to the well position stall speed. Then it would set you back in the seat.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:05 am

Sutter1stgen wrote:You would be Suprised at how much of a difference a good aftermarket converter will make on even a relatively lightly modified truck. I've had my Specrite from 220hp, 255hp, 330hp, 350hp. Definitely worth it. When it was first installed the feeling was awesome. Truck had the perfect stall, cruised well, and when you tipped into the throttle it would rev to the well position stall speed. Then it would set you back in the seat.

Hmm I guess that's why I call it a theory. I should get my act together get that Suncoast unit in :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby tampabayBill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:59 am

Do it Caleb, I want to know how you like it !
93D250 CC LE, 62/65/13 S300, PDR cam,DDP3's, B&D IP, 366 GSK, M3 & timing device, Air Dog 150, Cooler tubes, 3 piece manifold, BHAF & 4" tbe, ported & O ringed, ARP studs, 60# springs 47RH & 3 disc conv., fp, aux trans cooler, fluid damper, 3:54 D70 w/trac-lok, rear sway bar, gauges = egt,boost, tach, 47RH & diff. temps.
Twins coming soon!
tampabayBill
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BC847 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:40 am

I had Suncoast "Tighten-up" my converter a little over what they do with their off-the-shelf unit. ;)
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:09 pm

cmann250 wrote:
Sutter1stgen wrote:You would be Suprised at how much of a difference a good aftermarket converter will make on even a relatively lightly modified truck. I've had my Specrite from 220hp, 255hp, 330hp, 350hp. Definitely worth it. When it was first installed the feeling was awesome. Truck had the perfect stall, cruised well, and when you tipped into the throttle it would rev to the well position stall speed. Then it would set you back in the seat.

Hmm I guess that's why I call it a theory. I should get my act together get that Suncoast unit in :lol:

I like your theory. I was just trying to give you that extra push to install your suncoast. Like said before. Do it, your missing out.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Yea I'm working on it guys. It's one thing after another after another. I need it to tow a Bobcat tomorrow :roll: I had a 47RH in this truck for a while and the memory of a tight transmission is fading.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Deathrod » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Diesel wrote:Im gonna play devils advocate and say that sometimes when an inquiry is asking too many questions (not sure what you asked) it can be a turn off to businesses. Back on topic: I haven't tried their converters and would love to find out more as well. Thanks for making this post.

One thing I have learned over the years is you never know who you are dealing with over an email.....it could have been some secretary that doesn't even know where the converter goes let alone what it does. I'm just divided one which way to go....spend a lot on suncoast/goerend for my recently rebuilt 518 or hunt down a 47rh. I have been looking for over a year now to find a reasonable 47 but haven't had any luck, most I can find are 4x4 and way over priced. With a 47 there will be a lot more cost....I'd rebuild it, need starter, driveshaft...etc. With the lightness of my car a decent non lock up should keep me happy. This thing is a daily driver but still just a toy, it really needs some bigger sticks, I can't break 900* at 40 psi without an intercooler so I'm sure I could use more fuel....in other words more $$$$$
1930 Model A, 91 non i/c, he351ve over ht3b, bagged all around, mostly built 47rh, 72 lpm sticks, 600hp/1400 ft lbs (cummins math), just needs traction
Deathrod
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission