Use pressure test port for trans temp gauge?

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Use pressure test port for trans temp gauge?

Postby monoblock » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 pm

The 46RH on my 1993 D250 diesel has at least 5(?6) pressure test ports on it. Can any of these very convenient ports be used for the temperature sender for a Transmission Temperature Gauge? I already have the adapter bushing for the transmission pan but it would be much neater to use an existing port in the transmission case instead of drilling a big hole in the side of the pan for the bushing.

I would prefer to follow the experience of someone who has actually done this rather than just a speculation because the potential for damage is significant - for example sender probe is "too long" and a rotating part inside trans case hits the sender !
My reason for fitting a transmission gauge(and a pyrometer) is that I am adapting the bed to a electro-hydraulic dump. I shall be hauling and dumping dirt in hilly/tight situations so the trans will get quite a work-out while maneuvering a heavy load (say) up hill in reverse before dumping it.
Thanks for any advice.
monoblock
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Use pressure test port for trans temp gauge?

Postby ellis93 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:39 pm

From what I've seen......I've seen one temp probe installed in an accumulator and it worked fine till the band wore and no one did the maintenance on the trans and adjusted the bands. After the front band wore enough to make the accumulator piston touch it and keep it from applying the band,this caused the trans to slip.

Most accurate temp will either be pan or trans line (return side)
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Re: Use pressure test port for trans temp gauge?

Postby monoblock » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Mr.Ellis,
Thanks for the speedy reply.
I thought I was being a little paranoid worrying about interference between the sender and the internals of the case. Your example is all the incentive I need to drill a hole in the pan and use some epoxy to seal the bung.
Thanks for the advice.
monoblock
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission