Flexplate/ Converter Clearance Twatwaffles

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Flexplate/ Converter Clearance Twatwaffles

Postby Begle1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:43 pm

So while I was replacing my band apply lever in my transmission, I installed the "SFI rated double-thick flexplate" from CAT/ PATC that I've been lugging around for the past 5 years.

Which has led me to having two critical questions:

1. How should one align the flexplate to the crankshaft? The directions talk about pressing tangs in or out to better grip the crankshaft, which I attempted to do until it became clear that the geometry of the tangs wasn't going to grip the crankshaft no matter how I pressed them.

2. If after installing the flexplate one was to realize that there was no clearance between the torque converter and flexplate, and the two were all pushed together, what would be the remedy to the situation?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Re: Flexplate/ Converter Clearance Twatwaffles

Postby PToombs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm pretty sure the flexplate goes on any old whichaway, just torque it down. As for the clearance, double check the converter is all the way into the trans. Or measure the thickness difference of the plates and see if that's how much is lacking. If the new one is that much thicker, you may have a problem. I'm not familiar with the thicker flexplates, but if you can't spin the converter freely after the trans is in, you have a problem.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Sounds like you didn't get the convertor seated all the way.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:01 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:Sounds like you didn't get the convertor seated all the way.

Ditto

There should be about an 1/8" or more slack
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Ive heard in some situation where people have had to add a spacer between the transmission and adapter plate. But this is only with certain companies flexplates. Mine is thicker than factory, but did not require the spacer.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 pm

One of these days some little kid is going to type twatwaffles into google and learn all about installing an auto trans.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Taco! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby txs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:03 am

nephew bought a goerand for his frt, he got the alloy kickdown band apply parts and they sent an upgraded front clutch piston, so i put all that in for him, that converter was tight enough you never got any free play with tranny bolted up, the converter rubbed the flex plate while lining up the bolt holes, if he'd have had any kind of after market flex plate that was thicker than stock it would have needed the block spacer.
93 w250 6 speed 4" exhaust, caution, work truck, she's no beauty. building 1 ton dually 4x4, dana 80, 48rh, 205 Scratch the one ton, bought frt. dually 4x4 98 12 valve with the tiny rear doors. rides so much better than the 93.
txs
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 am

^^^^^^ your not the first to have had this problem. I was lucky with my aftermarket flex plate not to need the spacer. My flex plate isn't twice as thick, though it is thicker.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission