Downside to the overdrive tail unit?

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Downside to the overdrive tail unit?

Postby Begle1 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:06 pm

Various companies sell 46rh's, which I take is nothing more than a 727 with an overdrive tail section?

What is the downside to the overdrive tail? I've heard that it compromises lubricity?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Re: Downside to the overdrive tail unit?

Postby JD730 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:03 am

Begle1 wrote:Various companies sell 46rh's, which I take is nothing more than a 727 with an overdrive tail section?

What is the downside to the overdrive tail? I've heard that it compromises lubricity?

There are some lubing problems that are addressable in the overdrive section itself. I don't know of any major ones that came up with the front section.

They also cost more to rebuild because of the extra parts, clutches, bearings, etc...

You are correct, its pretty much a 727 with an overdrive tail section. However the front case is a little different, it has an area where a plug comes out so the overdrive can be electrically controlled. A new valve body that is quite a bit thicker than the 727 one also. The output shaft on a 727 is now the intermediate shaft on the A518 (46RH), they are not interchangeable.
Mike
Thats not a leak, its the external lubrication system.
The "Rattle Box"
93 W250 Silver Club Cab, few tweaks here and there.
John Deere Two Cylinders, too many to list.
JD730
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:47 am

So I couldn't put my manual valve body on an A-518?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission