5spd to Auto

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

5spd to Auto

Postby dustin_mud » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Got a 91 4x4 with a getrag and 205, would really like to swap it over to a auto. Wondering what auto would be best and what's needed to swap said trans in? I understand by swapping ill have to do mods to drive shafts and crossmember, that's ok with me. Oh would also like to keep the 205
dustin_mud
fuel screw!!!!

Re: 5spd to Auto

Postby Stoner93 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm almost done with the auto to nv4500 conversion and I removed a lot of parts...lots of cooler lines, tranny coolers there's three of them cause the cummins can heat up a tranny fast!, Throttle positioning sensor, shift linkage, steering column, overdrive manual control, tranny mount, you mentioned driveshafts, a plate to cover the hole in your floorboard, 4x4 shift linkage/mounting bracket, coupler for you transfercase or sell your 29 spline and get a 23 spline transfercase and new 23 spline coupler could probably make some of your money back doing it that way. If you want a lock up torque converter you'll need the second gen bell housing adapter plate and starter and make it a manual lockup with a switch... Also the second gen tranny...That is the only way I would recommend... A non lockup converter losses a lot up to 20% of torque and horse power let alone fuel milage... Some of these parts could be hard to come by and pricy... However there are a lot of guys out there who are looking for the five speed truck and if you were willing to sell it I have seen a lot of autos sell for a lot less then a manual and the autos are usually in a lot better condition interior wise. That being said if you do deside to continue with the swap good luck to ya.
Stoner93
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dustin_mud » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Cool thanks for the info, didnt know if there maybe a non diesel trans that would work good.
dustin_mud
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cougar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:51 am

If you were in Alaska, I'd trade you. My auto for your 5 speed.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission