The time has come. New trans time.

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: The time has come. New trans time.

Postby PToombs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Why not get a cooler with the fan on it? Then you can put it under the bed corner like the factory option one.
I don't know about the "over build it" streak, but there's no such thing with the trannys in these. Build it tough and tight and it will last whether it's used hard or easy. Spend the money once and be done with it!
I found out today my wifes nephew bought a purple transmission. He paid $5k for it. :shock: I told his father I hope he doesn't have any problems with it. He said it has a lifetime warranty. He got a funny look on his face when I said "Yeah, right, we'll see how that works for him!" :lol: The worst part is the dumb siht knows I'm into this stuff and never calls for advice. Ahh well, kids have to learn the hard way! ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:03 pm

That's the one I'm stuffing behind the grille. It's a starting point ;)

I've been reading up on every reputable manufacturer's site, asking locals, and reading up on 47RE/RH stuff on CompD. I have a general direction to go. In reality, a respectable auto is not hard or expensive to build in non-lock up form. There is so much truth to the phrase "Build it once".

Fact is that I don't have time to build one now. I'm racking up 700-800 miles a week this summer.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:08 pm

cmann250 wrote:Fact is that I don't have time to build one now. I'm racking up 700-800 miles a week this summer.

Chances are that it'll MAKE you make the time, unfortunately. :roll:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby cmann250 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:Chances are that it'll MAKE you make the time, unfortunately. :roll:

This truck has yet to break itself. Knock on wood. The only times it's been off the road is when I underestimate the time it takes for a project to be completed. That used to happen a lot. :roll:

It's whining for sure. Literally :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:18 pm

:jumpsmile:

A friend of mine dropped off a transmission for me. It's currently inoperable, but the price was quite fair. I'll probably start digging into it tomorrow and see what I have.

Now I'm more or less talking to myself, but feel free to keep reading. I found that the 46RH O/D pig tail it the same as an older GM throttle body application. The 47RH pig tail is the same as a GM cam sensor application. Don't pay PATC $20 for a pig tail that can be found on eBay for $10.

My thought is to stick with stock clutch counts. The O/D clutch should be 4 frictions. A lot of people say go to 5, but my Dodge weighs next to nothing and with 3.07s, I'd be foolish to run it hard in O/D with load behind it. Is that an obviously bad idea?

As far as the VB goes, I really like how my 727 shifts "firm". I don't like when it shifts though. I'll have to call around on a shift kit.

I've heard of one aluminum planet being weak and I'll have to look to see which one that is.

I have a PM in to Lavon Miller on parts, so I don't know what the projected damage is yet.

I'll need to get a drive shaft made. And find a slip yoke.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Caleb just use the one you have you were going to sell me. Im in no hurry for one since the Duck is parked until atleast March/April. I expect a parts break down on what you use and pics. :mrgreen:
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:56 pm

I really want a 1410 joint and 1 piece driveshaft, otherwise I'd keep what I have. The one I have is also cut for a 47RH, so it could be 1" too short.

I'll keep a parts list and this will be my half azz build thread. The pics will be more or less the same as all the ones that BC has put together.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:59 am

I found a slip yoke C/O bgilbert.

I more or less dismantled the trans yesterday. I found aluminum shavings in the pan from the front pinion. That'll need some work. The front clutch was junk as well. One clutch disc had no friction material on it. The O/D clutch looks good and has 4 discs. Same with the rear clutch, I forget the disc count. I haven't pressed the O/D section apart, so I don't know what shape the direct clutch is in. The pump looks ok, but I'll get a second opinion on it.

On the O/D pig tail, the GM one I mentioned before isn't exactly the same. The clips are different and the shape is different. I'll likely try to make the 47RH one work.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:20 pm

I had my parts list 90% made up and added the total. $835.62 plus shipping :puker:

So I re-added for my "essential" list and came up with $471.99 plus shipping :shock:
My "essential" kit includes new clutches, steels, seals, bushings, thrust washers, bands, the new planetary*, intermediate**, pump*, and deep pan.

One star means it's broken and two stars means I have to change it to mesh with an upgrade. I'm switching to a 15* 5 pinion front planetary. I know I have to switch to the 47 (later) intermediate shaft. Does the 15* pinion mean that I have to change to a different sun gear and ring gear? I think yes.

I still need to decide on a shift kit and that will determine what I do on servos, linkages, etc.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 pm

I reused my factory 518 sun gear. I know I didn't receive one in my kit. Lol
A lot of people don't suggest a 5:1 apply lever. And I've even heard that the 4.2:1 can be a little too aggressive with some certain shift kits. As in the line pressure is super high, and the extra leverage of the new apply lever is too much. Which can actually cause a band to break.
Now with that said, I ordered all my parts mainly through Patc. They sent me a kit that had a Fairbanks transaction shift kit. The also had a 5:1 apply lever in the kit, and I installed it unknowingly. After I did some research I found that sun coast runs a 5:1, so I called and asked them how? Ernie asked some key questions, and then noted that I was not givin a second "second gear" servo return spring, to double up with the factory original.
I installed the spring that he sent me, and backed my adjustment out 1.5 turns, and the shifts were perfect.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:30 am

I'm doing a lot of my business with A&A Transmission because 1.) They're less than 2 hours south of me and 2.) Their prices on rebuild kits are quite decent. But I still can't beat PATC's prices on the planetary, intermediate, and pump.

Fact is that I could put this thing together with my converter, tune the VB without a shift kit, and be dang happy for a long time. When I get the urge to tear something apart again in about 12 months, I can do all that other crap. I'm having a very hard time parting with money lately :lol:

Andy, I am keeping an Excel file with part numbers, prices, and sources.

Thanks for the help Eric.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:10 am

I was just getting ready to ask about that lol.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:42 pm

cmann250 wrote:I'm doing a lot of my business with A&A Transmission because 1.) They're less than 2 hours south of me and 2.) Their prices on rebuild kits are quite decent. But I still can't beat PATC's prices on the planetary, intermediate, and pump.

Fact is that I could put this thing together with my converter, tune the VB without a shift kit, and be dang happy for a long time. When I get the urge to tear something apart again in about 12 months, I can do all that other crap. I'm having a very hard time parting with money lately :lol:

Andy, I am keeping an Excel file with part numbers, prices, and sources.

Thanks for the help Eric.

Your not the only one who's wanting to hold on to $$$. I went to put a rebuilt/O-ringed head on Saturday night, and found a piston that looked as if a toddler learned about center punch operation with it. It's time to make a decision on how or what I'm going to do this time. But I'm getting tired of fixing as well.
Anytime on the advise.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:03 pm

I ordered hard parts from PATC just now. To my surprise I did not need a translator :lol:

For some reason I have a 5 pinion front planetary when it's supposed to be 4. The trans shows signs of being opened up before, but who knows who/why/when/where. I bought PATC Part# 8G and it's a 5 pinion planetary as well. Consequently I have to run an intermediate shaft from a 47 series transmission. Well, I don't rightly know the difference between an intermediate between a 47 series and a 46 series and neither did PATC. We'll see in a few days whether or not I already have one.

FYI 90-93 is an 11 lobe pump gear.

I'll give my wallet some time to adjust and then I may work up the courage to call A&A.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:36 pm

cmann250 wrote:Well, I don't rightly know the difference between an intermediate between a 47 series and a 46 series and neither did PATC.

Spline count is different. ;)

That being said, if you've got a 5-pinion planet in there, you already have a 47RH intermedieate.
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission