Postby RumbleFish » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:16 am

Dont forget to wear green!
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Re: The time has come. New trans time.

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:23 am

You building your own driveshaft?
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:39 am

dazedandconfused wrote:You building your own driveshaft?

I could I suppose, but I'm going to have the semi driveline shop in town do it. They're cheap, fast, and they can balance it.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:56 am

I wish we had that kind of turn around. My local drive line shop said 3 days to a week.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:03 pm

Anyone have thoughts on a break in procedure?

Here's my idea: Fill it with 2 gallons of ATF (left over from the assembly) and top it off with hydraulic oil. Idle it in neutral to circulate fluid for awhile, even though the shift kit allows it to pump in park. Take it for some easy miles with lots of stopping and going through the gears. Then progressively lean on it more as I build confidence. In 500 miles, I'd change the fluid and filter. Then forget about it.

Reasonable?

Andy, now that it's all put together, I have a accurate parts list. I'll email it to you here in a bit. I anyone else wants my parts list, PM your email address.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Put fluid in,check fluid level in neutral,fill till full.......drive it. That's how I do each and every one :lol:

There never is any break in period,no fluid changes at short interval,no nothing....... I just tell them thanks for the biss and see you in 15k for a fluid change.
This being your first and all I can see the point in a short change interval tho and can't blame you for it...... CYA being the best attack plan.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:23 pm

I recall Sutter1stgen saying change fluid. I have new thrust washers, one new planetary, and other new parts that are going to have to get along in there. I kind of expect there to be a lot of metal in the pan after 500 miles.

Even if you said don't do it, I'm too scared not to :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Like I said cover your @ss (cya). I don't sweat it tho. If everything is spaced properly there should be zero,not,none,nada,0 metal in your pan,a little black from a band wearing in but no metal.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:11 pm

I think I have close to 25k on mine now and I just drive the Shit outta it! :mrgreen:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:20 pm

PToombs wrote:I think I have close to 25k on mine now and I just drive the Shit outta it! :mrgreen:

Well, yea after 500, that's what I'll do too :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:44 pm

It was my first time rebuilding a Trans as well when I did mine. And it was a CYA deal. I had mainly friction material (before I got around to properly setting up the 5:1 apply lever), and I also had some metal slivers from the cooler that didn't flush out. Could I have made it to 15-30k with out a change??? Hells yes!!! Lol. But I was learning, and still am. I wanted to see if there was a hidden story in my pan. And I found 2, and attented to them.
I was pretty hard on the Trans too right after I established everything was adjust right.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Well for whatever dumb reason, I jumped the gun and started on it today. I need to drill (read Plasma cut :lol:) holes for the cross member, fill up the trans, hook up the wiring and linkages, and hang the exhaust yet.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:34 am

Now a little commentary on the process. What project of mine would be complete without some banter? :lol:

Everything came apart as it should and rather quickly. My converter had ballooned pretty badly and had started to wear into the flex plate slightly, but the flex plate was not broken as far as I could tell. I replaced it anyway. My brother helped me with reassembly, which was nearly as uneventful. I had him flush the heat exchanger on the side of the block and install the new cooler in front of the intercooler. The big heavy 518 and Suncoast converter slid in without issue. My spacing inside the bell housing is the same as it was before and I suspect the "billet" backed Suncoast converter will expand less than the stock unit.

It turns out this driveline shop that I've been talking up to Andy let me down. Their driveline guy works first shift instead of 8-5, so when I showed up at 445, he was long gone. Never fear though, I'm resourceful. I have the driveshaft from the same guy where I bought my second 518 off of. I cut the carrier out of it, measured, and welded it up. I ain't chittin' ya, straight as an arrow with beautiful even welds. And then I realize it's about 15* out of phase. :lol: In reality that's all for the good since I'll now be forced to buy a professionally made driveshaft.

This afternoon I'll finish it up. I think putting new holes in the frame will be the most tedious part of the process.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:39 am

The bottom bolt holes are easy its the top ones that suck. They only have one guy that makes shafts?
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:53 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:The bottom bolt holes are easy its the top ones that suck. They only have one guy that makes shafts?

I had brand new bits and a drill that would break my wrists if I wasn't careful, so it wasn't so bad even with my near-zero patience. I guess despite the after hours driveline shop being open until 9pm, the drive shaft guy was gone.

So I drove it home. I haven't leaned on it yet. I'm really happy with the converter. Thanks TampaBayBill! It holds power and loads the engine on hills. Cruising rpms dropped too. Under light throttle the shifts are crisp and right on time. It'll actually run a gear out now.

Yet to do-
-Wire up 4th
-Make satisfactory cooler lines
-Get a real driveshaft made
-Figure out why my speedometer doesn't work

cmann250
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission