Transmission Reinstall and Doesn't Work at All Twatwaffles

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Transmission Reinstall and Doesn't Work at All Twatwaffles

Postby Begle1 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 pm

So I pulled the transmission to reinstall the original flexplate, reinstalled everything, and now I can't get any torque through the transmission in any gear.

After putting it back together, I filled it with 2 gallons of ATF, started it and had the return line in a bucket to try and do a little flush while I was at it.

It did fill the bucket slowly while I rowed the gears; I got a couple gallons but it took 5-10 minutes. And it seemed to flow more consistently in park than anywhere else, which seems to be exactly backwards of what it should be?

It did suck down the fluid though, so I put in another ~5 quarts and reconnected the return line.

Then I continued running the thing through gears, for around 15 minutes probably. Long periods in park and neutral. The ATF level stabilized right at the top of the SAFE mark in neutral.

Then I overfilled it by three quarts to see if that'd make a difference. I continued to run through gears for another 10 minutes or so. I saw the fluid level stabilize again, this time to the "N" in "check fluid level while idliNg..."

Absolutely no torque to the wheels at any point during the ordeal.

I do have the linkage connected. I have at least confirmed that it engages and disengages the parking pawl when I go in and out of park.

My temperature gauge in the hotline never got above 100 F.

Please help me.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Re: Transmission Reinstall and Doesn't Work at All Twatwaffles

Postby BC847 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:21 pm

So did you install the converter to flex-plate bolts?
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby ellis93 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:29 pm

What did you have apart on the trans?
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:37 pm

BC847 wrote:So did you install the converter to flex-plate bolts?

Yes. :lol:

I replaced the second-gear apply lever. So I had the valve body out and second-gear band loose.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Could I have perhaps installed the valve body wrong in such a way that would cause this problem?
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:39 pm

I forgot you.....:lol: be back in a few
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Okkie dokie
This is all I can think of and was gonna put it out there this morning but my brain was alittle foggy.

Anyway you could have screwed this up
Or maybe it got bent,pushing the manual valve inbetween its lands
Little nomenclature for you
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:54 pm

Well, I like that you said that.

At first I had no park, and (after perhaps trying to force it a bit too hard) I took the pan off and discovered that the "manual valve" wasn't splined together with the rooster comb arm tip. So I was pushing in on the manual valve while I was trying to go into park.

How do I get to the point where I can see the partitions in the second picture, so I can see if things are lined up right?
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:30 am

You'd have to pull that VB apart.

Is there any way that you could have that truck all buttoned up,with the rear on Jackstands,and try to slip the shift lever in between detents. You could essentially check it like that.
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks a ton Ellis.

When I pulled the pan I realized that the rooster comb had popped up and come out of the manual valve.

Looking really close at your pictures just a minute ago, I realize that it did that because I at some point lost the washer that goes under the E-clip.

Instead of finding the washer, I bent the rooster comb arm tip down a little so that it couldn't pop out again. Oops.

Then I spent hours trying to get my ratchet shifter linkage set correctly.

Anyways, now the only problem is that the wheels lock up for a couple seconds when I downshift into first while moving. Any ideas on that one?

I feel like I need to make a donation to the server fund or something around here. :alien:
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:30 pm

Only thing I can think of is it's still out of adjustment. There really isn't anything else there to cause issues that you've had apart. It'll be a pita to get right without pulling that VB and looking at the valves orientation. Cross bleeds in a Trans are satan spawn.
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:50 pm

I know when I had a worn front band on my last tranny it'd lock the wheels up-shifting into second. Is it not possible for down-shifting into first to be a band issue?

Because with the stupid ratchet shifter, I really can't confirm that the shift linkage isn't holding the rooster comb between gears at the far end of travel. I screwed with it for hours today and still can't prove to myself I have it right yet.

And I definitely can't use a crescent wrench to downshift into first while I'm driving down the street, so if it isn't the linkage or a (band) adjustment I guess I'm pulling the damn VB AGAIN to split it apart and look at this manual valve, entirely because I bent the rooster comb arm, entirely because I forgot to reinstall a washer the first time I had the valve body out.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:48 am

IDK,could be.....maybe. How tight did you adjust it up to the drum? I know that there is an adjustment procedure for that front band but I do it a little different.
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby BlackSkyRacing » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:32 am

What ratio lever did you install? Stock servo or aftermarket? Sounds like a bind in 2nd and 1st, either the band is too tight or your manual valve "adjustment" you made is off as you suspect. I'm going to assume that you don't have a full manual VB since most full manual kits delete the apply of the low/reverse band in manual low to avoid these situations...
BlackSkyRacing
fuel pin?

Postby Begle1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:29 pm

So the binds-while-going-into-first problem seems to only happen if the TV valve is in the full throttle position.

I let it go back to the idle position and the problem went away.

Thoughts?
Begle1
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Transmission