Build me a bulletproof A518

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Build me a bulletproof A518

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:32 pm

I think we might be on different pages of the book. lol I did some reading and searching today. The Valet Switch (or ball valve) cuts off the boost to the AFC, which cuts the over all power done. Used for when lending your truck to someone who can't handle the added power.
Correct?
How would this affect the trans? Would the reduced power make it shift easier or just increase longevity/reliability?

Next the pressure switch I was referring to was to control the LockUp torque convertor. Which takes the line pressure from the trans to lock and unlock the convertor. Having the TC locked all the time will be harsh on the internals of the trans, hence the override switch for the TC.
Correct?
Would having a LockUp TC never lock up burn it out? I've read lots and researched but couldn't find any answers.

Finnally, the TV cable uses input from the throttle cable/linkage to change line pressure in the tranny. I understand the adjusting the TV cable will help with shift points and line pressure. And also the BD PressureLoc replaces the TV cable(?) to provide the higher line pressure at lower throttle levels. Example: 3/4 line pressure for 1/2 throttle.
Correct?
What are the benefits for this? And could one use this as well as the Valet Switch?

Don't quote me on any of the above. Just trying to clarify.
Jimmy
--> '85 cab w/ '89 engine and trans stock with minor pump tweaks and a flatbed. **soon to get lots of goodies**
--> '95 jimmy not so stock

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:07 pm

With the valet switch off and full afc movement, all of your shift points are how try normally are. That is your base line. 1/4, 1/2, an wide open throttle all have a certain mph they shift at right.

Now cut the power in half with the valet switch. Full throttle gives you a late full throttle shift, but with half the power right. In essence your giving the truck more throttle to compensate for the loss of power, but your also giving the trans more line pressure.

The reason I bring this up is I like how my truck toes at 1/4-1/2 throttle. I don't need anymore. Only problem is my shifts can feel a little soft at half throttle with full fuel, and a heavy load. So with the valet, I keep my egts in check and my line pressure up for towing.

And for those who think I need to adjust my tv cable, it's adjusted all the way advanced.

Lockup is vodoo!!!! I know nothing. Lol
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Horus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:40 am

Is there no way on a hydraulic valve body to set the baseline line pressure higher without affecting the shift points or full throttle line pressure?
91.5 W250 Dodge 4X4 CTD. Getrag. DD Power pin removed, stock fuel cone back in. 366 spring. Power screw at stock depth. Stock turbo. Stock lift pump. Straight piped and Intercooled.

93 D250 Dodge club cab 2wd. All stock for now. Automatic.
Hard KOR Wheeler.
PNWJeep club member.
Horus
fuel screw!!!!

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:39 am

Ok, but doesn't the valet switch reduce the overall power output of the engine? If so, why not get one of those BD pressureloc things to increase the line pressure? You would be able to use the engines full potential power. And to the OP, sorry for the highjacking. :lol: :compress:
Jimmy
--> '85 cab w/ '89 engine and trans stock with minor pump tweaks and a flatbed. **soon to get lots of goodies**
--> '95 jimmy not so stock

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:20 pm

At a clean 330 hp, manual or auto, pulling at full power will heat soak your cooling system. That's the only reason I made the valet suggestion. But yes the pressureloc or what have you will help your trans too.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Transmission