V10 47RH swap questions.

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

V10 47RH swap questions.

Postby Horus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Hey guys,

The next order of business for the 93 D250 is a transmission overhaul. My original plan was to do a basic rebuild with a good converter, shift kit, extra clutches in the packs and the steel planetary and intermediate shaft from a 47 model. The truck is to be a 300 horse tow pig with the usual mods that come with it.

I am in the camp that the A518 will be just fine for what I intend to do and that unless you tow across country regularly or wish to impress a dyno, a lock-up trans is unnecessary. That being said, I have an opportunity to score a 2WD 47RH wrapped in a complete and running 94 V10 Ram for a steal. Once I am done parting and scrapping the truck I'll basically have this trans for free.

So now I find myself wanting to swap this puppy into my 93, and I have questions. According to the Googles and Internets the only difference between the V10 and Cummins 47RH is the governor weights. Is this true?

If I have a complete running donor truck what parts outside of that will I need complete this swap? I know about controlling the lock-up as there are numerous forum posts as to how that has been done.

Thanks for any help.
91.5 W250 Dodge 4X4 CTD. Getrag. DD Power pin removed, stock fuel cone back in. 366 spring. Power screw at stock depth. Stock turbo. Stock lift pump. Straight piped and Intercooled.

93 D250 Dodge club cab 2wd. All stock for now. Automatic.
Hard KOR Wheeler.
PNWJeep club member.
Horus
fuel screw!!!!

Re: V10 47RH swap questions.

Postby SuperiorRam » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:47 pm

Governor weights and converter
92 Cummins: DD, basic mods, topper, 9'2" bossV
92 Cummins: 10' tall, Rockwells and r1's "Dirty Addiction",
83 RC/SB Cummins: engine set back 18", block 89w/h20 after cooler, fire ringed and worked head, studs, billet 64/68/14w/race cover, custom header, bigger sticks, 47rh, dana 60, four wheel disk, and big Mickey Thompsons w/ Weld drag lites. "The Mustard Bucket"
SuperiorRam
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BlackSkyRacing » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:11 am

SuperiorRam wrote:Governor weights and converter

^^^ Yep, the pilot for the back of the crank is smaller on the V10 converter... Talk to any of the converter shops and let them know you have a V10 core, some of them might even give you some credit towards a converter for it so they have the V10 core for the next guy who wants a crazy high stall for competition.
BlackSkyRacing
fuel pin?

Postby txs » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 am

not an absolute nescessity but the diesel pump rotors are made with fewer teeth but bigger size cogs to pump more volume at lower rpm, i would change them out too.
93 w250 6 speed 4" exhaust, caution, work truck, she's no beauty. building 1 ton dually 4x4, dana 80, 48rh, 205 Scratch the one ton, bought frt. dually 4x4 98 12 valve with the tiny rear doors. rides so much better than the 93.
txs
14mm rotor

Postby Horus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:33 am

Txs,

So five minutes ago a brain fart leading to a Google search led me straight to a thread you started on here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6637

As I read more into the differences between these transmissions I began to wonder if I could put a hydraulic valve body into a 47RE or even a 48RE. Turns out you were on top of that several years ago. That thread leaves some questions unanswered, like did it work...

Your sig line seems to think so. :alien: So how is it working out?

I have no problem harvesting any parts I'll need from my a518. Unless the 48RE is a serious upgrade hardpartswise I still plan to use this 47RH I am hoping to get. Just curious if a 48RH hybrid is doable and/or sensible.
91.5 W250 Dodge 4X4 CTD. Getrag. DD Power pin removed, stock fuel cone back in. 366 spring. Power screw at stock depth. Stock turbo. Stock lift pump. Straight piped and Intercooled.

93 D250 Dodge club cab 2wd. All stock for now. Automatic.
Hard KOR Wheeler.
PNWJeep club member.
Horus
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission