HELP! rebuilding getrag (nicked gear)

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

HELP! rebuilding getrag (nicked gear)

Postby casej21 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:14 pm

so I am in the process of rebuilding my getrag. I bought this truck with a bad tranny and after pulling it i figured out that it spit the front counter shaft bearing. when i was cutting the cage off the main shaft bearing i nicked the gear. Does this need to be replaced? i tried to get the best pics i could. camera broke had to use phone.

casej21
fuel pin?

Re: HELP! rebuilding getrag (nicked gear)

Postby Mark Nixon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:26 am

Isn't that actually the input?
It would probably make noise under load, so I'd replace it.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby ellis93 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 am

If it was a customers....I'd replace it. If it was mine and I needed my truck REALLY bad id use it.....like said above its just a matted of time before it'll cause issues.....these trannies don't need any help with making noises :lol:
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:30 am

I'd run it, just let off the throttle every time that gear meshes and roll back into it once it's past.

Easy. 8)
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby casej21 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:43 am

thanks for the info guys. Its actually 5th gear. already got to replace input shaft, race was screwed tons of metal shaving also new counter shaft, it got scared when it spit the front bearing. there is a trans shop not to far away that has most of this stuff in stock. walked out yesterday with the rebuild kit and input. i call and see if they have the counter shaft and 5th gear also forgot to get shim kits. my new valair clutch dosent get here till mon or tues of next week so i got some time but want to get this thing on the road.

front counter shaft bearing. fell out when i seperated bell housing
casej21
fuel pin?

Postby casej21 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:47 pm

so i got the tranny rebuilt and ready to stab it back in but missing speedo fork bolt and can seem to find the right size. Can any of you guys help me out?
casej21
fuel pin?

Postby ellis93 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:52 pm

It's metric.....8mm x ?. That's all I know....
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby casej21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:39 am

thank you. ya its 8 x1.25, chased the threads and all better now and tranny has been stabbed. finish it up tomorrow.

Funny little story, while I'm underneath the truck, got tranny up in and fighting to find the pilot bearing, I yell at my wife to come out and press on the clutch. I tell her its the one closest to her and she says she's pressing on it and nothing is happening down under the truck from my point of view. I tell her to press it again and nothing, she says it wont go no more. So at this point Im like wtf I know that worked earlier so I climb out from under the truck to check it out for my self and the clutch fells fine. and then she says oh you want me to press on that pedal! She was pressing on the ebrake. Then she says with and attitude, you said the one closest to me! and she's the edumacated one!
casej21
fuel pin?

Return to Transmission