Build it or replace it?

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Build it or replace it?

Postby flyin6 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:30 am

I am mid stream in an extensive restoration/build of my 91 truck.

I am doing all the normal stuff, well maybe to an extreme. I would like to get it near perfect, and I still have a ways to go.

I started ordering stuff for the engine. I have set a goal, a number rather to plan around. I am using 400HP as a planning number so that everything I source will support that. I am not going to do a bit at a time, but everything all at once.
So far a gentleman here has provided a fuel pin, fuel pump, gages, and some other things.
I have already installed a 4" exhaust, K&N filter with modified stock box. Next I will be selecting the turbo and injectors.
It would seem from reading the various threads here that the stock transmission could be made to live with the addition of a converter, additional cooling, , valve body, clutches and some billet parts...OK, I'd be cool with that.
Some other members have suggested I step straight up to a 47re and build it somewhat. That is also a possibility with the caveat, I don't want electronics, and for some serious reasons, don't want a stick shift.

So build the stocker, or go for the 47RH??
Last edited by flyin6 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Build it or replace it?

Postby Remps » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:39 am

47RH isn't electronic. 47RE is.
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:45 am

Remps wrote:47RH isn't electronic. 47RE is.

I have a lot to learn about these 12 valves...new to the truck.

Have owned and built diesels for years...Have a built D-max and have owned square dodge gassers in the past.

Why I never got a 12 valve is a mystery...these trucks are great!

So 47rh...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Which transmission does your 91' have. 3 or 4 speed? I know my 91' came with the a727 3 speed. I was happy with it for 4 years. But when it finally blew the 3rd time I had a A518 ready to go in for the next round. I actually built the trans myself, they are pretty straight forward. BC847 did a extensive trial and error rebuild if you do a search on it. I learned a lot from his thread, and from PMing him on his thoughts.
If you can live without o/d then build the trans you have with a valvebody and converter. That is always a start. Now is your truck 4x4 or 2wd? Because if your going to be doing any 4x4 launches, a steel front planetary set is a good piece of insurance. After that billet shafts are going to be needed quick.

Let us know a little more about your truck and its intended plans for this 400hp goal.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Sutter1stgen wrote:Which transmission does your 91' have. 3 or 4 speed? I know my 91' came with the a727 3 speed. I was happy with it for 4 years. But when it finally blew the 3rd time I had a A518 ready to go in for the next round. I actually built the trans myself, they are pretty straight forward. BC847 did a extensive trial and error rebuild if you do a search on it. I learned a lot from his thread, and from PMing him on his thoughts.
If you can live without o/d then build the trans you have with a valvebody and converter. That is always a start. Now is your truck 4x4 or 2wd? Because if your going to be doing any 4x4 launches, a steel front planetary set is a good piece of insurance. After that billet shafts are going to be needed quick.

Let us know a little more about your truck and its intended plans for this 400hp goal.

I guess I had better improve my signature to help with that information...Thanks for asking
It's an intercooled 91 4X4 with the A518 overdrive trans.

My plans for power increases are:
All the normal adjustments to the VE Pump
BD fuel pin
3800 gov spring
O-Ring
appropriate valve springs, need to pick out turbo and injectors first
Possibly studs
3 piece exhaust manifold
4" exhaust
Turbo
Injectors
Lift Pump
Powerstroke intercooler
3" I/C piping

I will never drag race or pull with the truck. I am building it to be a back up survival truck. It just needs to be able to sprint away if necessary, to push through a roadblock or building, haul a packed up trailer if required and run on different fuel types.
If you check out the build thread link in my sig, you will get a better idea of the concept of the build...
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Build the budget friendly trans it already has. If o/d ever crapped out on you you could throw it on a toggle and still have o/d. A518 trans are alot stronger than most people think. If it isn't going to be a tow pig, I wouldn't spend the extra money on another transmission, especially one that has a converter that cost a minimum of twice the cost.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:37 am

Sutter1stgen wrote:Build the budget friendly trans it already has. If o/d ever crapped out on you you could throw it on a toggle and still have o/d. A518 trans are alot stronger than most people think. If it isn't going to be a tow pig, I wouldn't spend the extra money on another transmission, especially one that has a converter that cost a minimum of twice the cost.

The A518 doesn't lock up, so that means it slips a lot
That means heat
The truck already has two trans coolers, so the engineers knew about this problem. I'm guessing more torque will generate more heat as well. To address that, throwing on a deeper pan and perhaps a bigger cooler...I'm thinking out loud here, that would be more or less necessary, right?

With the intent of this trucks usage, the survival truck theme, one want's reliability over power. Just like a weapon has to make noise when the trigger is pulled, this truck will need to always start and always go.

Ok one vote for the stocker, albeit, modified, well, maybe two votes...
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:21 am

Here's my bosses 92'. 6" skyjacker on a 8" frame, homade extremely heavy and overkill back bumper, barn door aluminum shell, packrat, and twin piston/vtwin compressor, kelderman air ride front and back(unplugged in photo), and a rear aux diesel tank under bed.
There's probably more to add to this thing weight wise, like his 12k warn he plans on adding. This is his hunting rig, and not quite as overbuilt as a a bug out rig, it's on the same path.
He has a A518 with a bd valve body and suncoast converter, 366gsk, stock rotated pin, 5x12???, and a superB.
Eric at the hungry diesel through this package together, with my only input being the trans stuff.
The previouse owner overbuilt the cooling system and put two air/water/air trans coolers under body. They are thick and massive with water and air to cool both of them. Then there is a aluminum tank for extra coolant capacity. Way overkill but it works.
That trap wagon weighs just over 10k even.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:40 am

Oh and another thing to think about. Firstgen frames are designed to bend and break in certain spots apon collision!! If you do decide to use your truck as a 10k battering ram,,,,,,, I'd strongly advise plating and gusseting in the key areas.

Driving my boss's truck thus morning also reminded me of another point, gearing. 3.55s are cool and all, but with 36-14.50s they can be a bit of a henderence. Add a heavy truck loaded with gear and add ons and you ply compound it. If you have o/d, and plan on 35" or taller, I'd go with 4.10s. They are about as low as I'd go until you get to the 40"+ tire size.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Sutter1stgen wrote:Oh and another thing to think about. Firstgen frames are designed to bend and break in certain spots apon collision!! If you do decide to use your truck as a 10k battering ram,,,,,,, I'd strongly advise plating and gusseting in the key areas.

Driving my boss's truck thus morning also reminded me of another point, gearing. 3.55s are cool and all, but with 36-14.50s they can be a bit of a henderence. Add a heavy truck loaded with gear and add ons and you ply compound it. If you have o/d, and plan on 35" or taller, I'd go with 4.10s. They are about as low as I'd go until you get to the 40"+ tire size.

Good info!

I just bought a set of 285/75 R16's and some wheels. I wanted to keep this truck sitting on 33's for now because I didn't want to step up on the gearing.
I had 3.73's in the D-max, but went to 4.56's and 35" tires. Did it myself...
Too much gear. I don't know enough about this truck yet to speak intelligently, but I get what you're saying, and if I step up in tire size, I would be subject to go to the used Armee hummer 37" tires. Maybe down the road...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:44 pm

I've ran those 37s........they are an awesome tire under 50mph, after that...... HORRIBLE.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:16 pm

RC, which ones? The military has used several different 37's over the years, Goodyear MT's, MT/R's, BFG Baja T/A's or the bias ply 36's? Heck, even the ODA's that were near us in '03-04 ran 38" Super Swampers...
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:34 pm

The good year mt/r if I remember correctly.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Buddy of mine has a set of homade beedlock wheels. He made the whole wheel from scratch. He also runs military takeoffs and has 4:10s. I turned the truck up for him with all the free mods and a 366gsk, that truck moved like a stock tired truck with the same mods. I was impressed. With a diesel you really don't have to be so critical with the gearing. The torque they have will help you out more than you know.

As for what you guys a slanging about tires, I'd love to build a offroad rig on some military Michelin xzl or whatever they're called.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Those military tires are SUPER light. I noticed when I ran them, my truck picked up LOADS of power. And boy howdy will they burn off (rubber is so hard). I never actually noticed how much power I gained with them until I got away from them and realized I felt like I was dragging an anchor all the time.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Transmission