need some help finishing up 47rh swap

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

need some help finishing up 47rh swap

Postby dpd1stgen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:57 pm

i'll apologize for such a lengthy post in advance.

ive got everything in and the truck now drives but it shifts into second and third way to fast. I wired a new 3 pin connector as was required and I thought I had it wired up correctly for o/d and lock up but neither work. I tested for voltage before I cut off the old two pin connector and found one to have 12 volts and one to have zero. I assumed the one that was pulling 12 was to be connected to the center pin on the new three pin connector based off of what I saw on another forum. I also assumed that the other wire that was pulling 0 volts was the o/d because my truck already had an o/d on/off switch so I spliced that to the front pin. and I read that the rear pin is for lock up so I spliced a wire to that, ran it through the firewall and connected to a toggle switch. then I connected another wire to the same toggle switch and ran it to a ground. Is this wrong? because as I said earlier neither o/d nor lockup is working and my brain is scrambled

As far as the shifting goes I read up and determined that the tv cable needs to be adjusted. theres quite a bit of slack in the cable down near the transmission. is there a way I can remove the slack or do I not need to?

oh yea, my truck is a 93 w250
I am completely stumped and have no idea how to fix these problems. any insight would be greatly appreciated. Please help!!!
dpd1stgen
fuel pin?

Re: need some help finishing up 47rh swap

Postby cmann250 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:21 pm

On wiring: The center wire on the 3 pin connector is hot, the front wire is the overdrive ground, and the rear wire is the converter lock-up ground.

dpd1stgen wrote:I read that the rear pin is for lock up so I spliced a wire to that, ran it through the firewall and connected to a toggle switch. then I connected another wire to the same toggle switch and ran it to a ground. Is this wrong?

That sounds right.

If your wiring checks out, drop the pan and put 12v to the solenoids on the passenger side of the valvebody. They should make a click like an electric fence charger.

dpd1stgen wrote:As far as the shifting goes I read up and determined that the tv cable needs to be adjusted. theres quite a bit of slack in the cable down near the transmission. is there a way I can remove the slack or do I not need to?

Which TV lever did you use? You should use the one from the original 1st gen transmission.

Welcome, too. 8)
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dpd1stgen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:39 am

Thanks! I'm going to double check all my wiring today and if all checks out I've got a power probe so I'll do that check inside the pan. Should I be getting voltage at the o/d wire when its on or when its off? And do I need to run a toggle switch for that too or was I right in assuming that since the truck already had an o/d switch that I could just wire it in like I did? And I used the TV lever off the stock tranny
dpd1stgen
fuel pin?

Postby Philip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:50 am

You will not hear the solenoid click or anything. OHM test them to see if they are good. No OHM reading is a bad one.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:16 am

I took the solenoids out of mine and heard them click, but checking them for resistance is a sure fire way to know if they're bad.

You know Philip, not all of us are so friendly with multi-meters :lol:

dpd1stgen wrote:Should I be getting voltage at the o/d wire when its on or when its off? And do I need to run a toggle switch for that too or was I right in assuming that since the truck already had an o/d switch that I could just wire it in like I did?

O/D should be fine since you originally had a 518, assuming everything is in working order. By flipping the switch, you ground the solenoid and complete the circuit. So when O/D is on, your circuit is complete. You should have voltage through either the O/D (or lock-up) ground wire when either is "on".

With both O/D and lock-up not working, I'd try a different ground unless you're on the negative terminal of the battery already.

As for the TV lever, post a pic of how it's routed if you can.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dpd1stgen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:09 pm

I figure it has to be a wiring issue because its a brand new tranny and im having a hard time accepting that the o/d solenoid could be bad. and even if the o/d solenoid was bad shouldn't it still engage lock up when I flip the toggle switch if my wiring is correct? i'll try and get a good picture of the tv cable and post it. I adjusted it today and it spread out first and second but third still hits way to quick. and im thinking that since theres so much slack the cable is binding up but I cant really look at it and drive. is there a way to see if the cable is moving correctly without driving?
dpd1stgen
fuel pin?

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:25 pm

dpd1stgen wrote:I figure it has to be a wiring issue because its a brand new tranny and im having a hard time accepting that the o/d solenoid could be bad. and even if the o/d solenoid was bad shouldn't it still engage lock up when I flip the toggle switch if my wiring is correct? i'll try and get a good picture of the tv cable and post it. I adjusted it today and it spread out first and second but third still hits way to quick. and im thinking that since theres so much slack the cable is binding up but I cant really look at it and drive. is there a way to see if the cable is moving correctly without driving?

Did you use the 1st gen lever on the TV cable? If not you will never get it to shift right.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Have someone run the throttle with you under it and watch the lever....engine off
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby dpd1stgen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:17 pm

I used the lever from the first gen and I had my buddy run the throttle while I was look at it and it didn't move. At all. Is there a certain why the cable needs to be routed? Because right now it looks like its to long, causing it to bind up at the linkage under the hood. It doesn't move back at all. It just bends
dpd1stgen
fuel pin?

Postby dpd1stgen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Alright, so I got the TV cable figured out. Now I just need to figure out why o/d and lockup aren't working. Anyone know if o/d has a fuse or relay in its circuit?
dpd1stgen
fuel pin?

Postby cmann250 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Did you test either for resistance? Or even with a light to know your external wiring it good?

If they both are not working and they're grounded at the same spot, I'd be inclined to think it's the ground.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:02 pm

The way i read his wiring is hes using oem computer to control the od. And the only thing on a switch is lockup. Make sure you have power to the center and check your grounds.
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby dpd1stgen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:39 pm

I haven't tested either for resistance. I'm getting voltage at the center wire. Should I be getting voltage at the wire for o/d or is that simply a ground? Anyone know where o/d would be grounded at? I've got lockup grounded inside the cab where I've got my gauges grounded.
dpd1stgen
fuel pin?

Postby DodgeFreak » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Od is grounded by the computer. Im not good at explaining electrical tests with out doing then.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby Fred S » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:21 pm

If OD worked before you did the conversion, it should work still. The trans temp sensor plays a role too. Run separate grounds to pin1, and pin3, using a ground inside the cab. Verify the trans works both before worrying about any stock wiring. Each solenoid should have about 4-5ohm between pins 1-2 or 2-3.
92 W250 LB Crewcab 3" Alcans, NV5600 4x4, 35inch Toyo ATs, some tweaks
2001 Golf TDI TDTuning-Stg4, R520s, SBC, 17/22
94 Toyota Ex-Cab 4x4 (01 ALH(TDI)) TDTuning-Stg4, PP764s, SBC, 17/22
Fred S
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission