A518 odd thing happened...

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

A518 odd thing happened...

Postby slow_90firebird » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:36 am

The other day I was driving on campus, and it was still real icy and snow on the road so I had it in 4hi. I was leaving the parking lot and drove over a speedbump with my foot still on the gas...

When the back wheels came down off the speed bump the RPM shot up. I thought I was spinning all 4 because of the ice, but the truck wasnt going nowhere. I thought maybe the shifter was not in drive all the way, and jumped back to neutral. Checked and it was still in D. Tried N, still no difference. Tried R, still like neutral. Moved down to D2, still just like neutral. Now I think I lost my tranny. So I tried putting it all the way down into D1, and "clunk" it loads up just like going from N to D. So i start driving and its staying in first, i try putting it back into OD and it upshifts twice. I stop and try reverse, works fine. Took it up on the highway and it shifted just like I expect it to... It has been fine ever since for 2 days after that...
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Re: A518 odd thing happened...

Postby ellis93 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:07 am

First thing I'd do is service the trans,filter could be half stopped up or something.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:10 am

your tcase didn't jump out or anything did it??
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby slow_90firebird » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Trans was just serviced last summer 5k ago. I use Tractor fluid and a brass screen filter in the pan - cant be clogged. There is also a NAPA oil filter i put inline to the cooler, but it has a 10ish psi bypass just for that reason.

I thought it might have been the t-case, but why would going to D1 on the column fix it? Plus the t-case handle was definately in the rearmost position for 4hi, wouldnt it need to go thru 2hi and over to find N?

Like I said im not too worried. It been driving good and i took it out yesterday and beat the snot out of it to try and slip the tranny but its doing exactly like it should. And ive been running the tractor fluid for 40 or 50k miles now not a single problem.
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Climb underneath and check all the bushings on the linkage to see if any are missing. I'd check the cab, engine, and trans mounts to make sure they are ok. If a mount is broken something may have jumped and kicked it out of gear.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby slow_90firebird » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:37 pm

PToombs wrote:Climb underneath and check all the bushings on the linkage to see if any are missing. I'd check the cab, engine, and trans mounts to make sure they are ok. If a mount is broken something may have jumped and kicked it out of gear.

I think your onto something. When we took the tranny out last year to change the flexplate, I remember one of the plastic pieces broke that holds that little steel rod that goes from the framerail to the tranny, and it rotates to shift the gears. The rod still works but has some slop in it - to get into D I have to go a little past where it is and then manually push up/forward to get it into gear. Ive been dealing with it because its not a big enough deal for me to want to take all that linkage back apart...

I wonder if going over the speedbump kinda flexed the frame or something and put that little rod in a bad spot until I got it back to where it needed to be.
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:02 am

The little plastic bushing your thinking of is a pretty penny. Dont be shocked at the price when you find one.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby slow_90firebird » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:16 am

I dont think I will be buying one - there is other things I could do if i need to make it work. It seems to be ok for now
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:30 pm

Sutter1stgen wrote:The little plastic bushing your thinking of is a pretty penny. Dont be shocked at the price when you find one.

Really? How much can it be? I'd go to the junk yard and get one off a gasser or something. Or you can weld a washer on there too, but that will wear a groove in the shaft.

And I don't under stand what the big deal is about pulling the linkage, unless it's all rusted to crap. Just pull 1 bolt and the bracket comes off the trans and you should be able to get a bushing in it. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:53 pm

It was $47.99!!! Or some asinine price like that. The guy who built my 727 was a a honest, good to deal with builder. He showed me the invoice because even he thought it was absurd. The bushing helps with unnecessary shift movement. It makes a world of difference when it's there and not there. Hell even a homemade Teflon bushing would be better than nothing.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:26 pm

That is asinine! :shock: I still say go to the jy and find one. Or make one, a piece of PVC slid into a larger piece might work too. Or maybe just a piece of 1/2" would be enough by itself.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:56 am

True!! Hopefully with more stuff will become easier to find, with the lmc finally coming out for our truck. Not saying they are going to carry it, but maybe others will catch on.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission