Torque Converters.... which one.

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Torque Converters.... which one.

Postby 2muchtq » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:47 pm

I am getting the parts together to follow BC's thread on reBUILDING my tranny. I have a buildable core that I am going to take my time on... so doing it right wont step aside due to me needing my truck running.

I have a quesiton on converters. I can get a Dunrite for a deal.

I have NO experience with these converters for the first gen. I know the Dunrite builds that Rip does holds PLENTY of power... I am just curious if anyone knows how 'tight' these converters are.

I have owned an 89% DTT and it was plenty loose to spool at the line. But this was a lockup converter (95RH tranny)

Unk has a 91% in his full DTT and I LOVE the way it works... just do not want to spend the coin on a 91DTT converter.

So... long winded post aside. Anyone have experience with different converters?

Anyone running a converter that they would reccomend for 400+ HP?

Thanks everyone
Mark
2muchtq
fuel screw!!!!

Postby JD730 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:18 am

I have a Goerend 3 disc. Thats the only one I've ever run so I don't have anything to compare to.

If you want to put power down I would look for a lockup style core to rebuild. No matter how tight you make the fluid coupling its still not 100%.
Mike
Thats not a leak, its the external lubrication system.
The "Rattle Box"
93 W250 Silver Club Cab, few tweaks here and there.
John Deere Two Cylinders, too many to list.
JD730
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BC847 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:27 am

I think you'll find most if not all the major converter re-builders have stopped marketing the commonly named 89% and 91%. Reason being, too many problems with customers expecting "Better" performance. Most of which have no idea of how what goes into the converter (HP/torque/RPM) dictates what comes out. Certainly with the rotating and stationary components in closer relation, more apparent power is transmitted.

As such, most now market a single modified version. When asked how tight in the common %, most will balk rightfully thinking "Aw Jeez! Not again!!"

Still though most builders can custom set one to your liking allowing time for the work. Else, it's usually an off-the-shelf swap for your core.

I went with SunCoast hoping there's something to the reliability of the brand. Further, that they offer has the billet backplate (that which mates to the flex-plate). The idea being to help further reduce flexing.

I think DunRight is relatively new in terms of a reputable/established converter vendor. I'm seeing more and more references to them.

Considering it's all the same converter cores that they all work with, it's a matter of how well the machine work is done in tightening them up. General "Good workmanship" practices being foremost.

We'll see.

Hope this helps. ;)

(Work with me, I'm on muscle relaxers & pain meds due to a recent back injury). Image
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby JD730 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:59 am

BC847 wrote:I think DunRight is relatively new in terms of a reputable/established converter vendor. I'm seeing more and more references to them.

Dave,
Dunrite has been in the trans/converter business for years. For reasons that are unknown to me it seems they've been sitting on the back burner for years.
Mike
Thats not a leak, its the external lubrication system.
The "Rattle Box"
93 W250 Silver Club Cab, few tweaks here and there.
John Deere Two Cylinders, too many to list.
JD730
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission