Dual disc in a Getrag ? opinions

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Dual disc in a Getrag ? opinions

Postby jmd4993 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Dual disc in a Getrag ? opinons
i did a getrag swap on my 92 w250 and i called valair and told them that i want the capability of towing and something that will last and im a def beginner at trannys so they recommended the dual disc. so i got and we installed it and 3rd girl is grinding from the first time i tested it out. they guy i bought the tranny from said it was perfectly fine and he would like it back if i get a different one.

he thinks that the clutch is disengaging far enough because i dont have the heavy duty clutch hydraulics. but everyone tells me its a syncro and common sense says its a syncro. which is fine, its the luck of the draw.

i called valair about an exchange. no can do. they also said that the rotating mass is only 10lbs more that a single disc and it wouldnt effect the syncros as dramatically as people have said. they said it was a very stock and street friendly clutch with capability.

so im buying a new rebuilt tranny. now the big question is, do i keep the dual disc, get a performance single disc, or use the used stock clutch?

i would greatly appreciate any first hand experience with a dual disc and what happened and the longevity of a tranny mainly the getrag with one in it.

any info is greatly appreciated thanks a lot guys

Re: Dual disc in a Getrag ? opinions

Postby 93flatbed » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:50 pm

I do not have a getrag any more. I do have a duel disk. It didn't effect my transmission at all. The shipping lable said 89 lbs when FedEx dropped it off at the gate.
I doubt that information helped you at all. Only thing I can think of, as you mentioned is its not fully disengaging and an already worn synco is showing up more now.
93 W250. Waiting on EFI live to come out with a ve version.
93flatbed
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Check your pedal bushings/throw. VERY common problem with our old trucks. A single disc doesn't have to be moved as far to fully disengage.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby BILTIT » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:01 pm

I didnt have any problems with my dual disc. I would double check linkages/bushings/etc. as has been said above.

Did you install the discs/spacer the proper orentiation as they were marked?
Derek B.
2003 QuadCab, Tater 62/65 341cw, Smarty Touch SW9, Full Billet trans.
91.5 W250, coolertubz, HE351CW, PS IC, Alcans, GVOD, Valair DD, bags, crossover.
1974 Pontiac Ventura,best of 11.97 at 112 so far.
Aluminum heads and roller cam on the way.
BILTIT
14mm rotor

Postby jmd4993 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:22 pm

where do you check the pedal bushings throw? i just installed a new stock replacement master and slave cylinder. i was told by many people to get the Heavy duty clutch hydraulics but valair said i didnt need it. thats for the info guys
jmd4993
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission