Revmax, Goerend, or ?????

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Revmax, Goerend, or ?????

Postby Higbean » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:05 pm

I'm looking to buy all the good stuff (minus billet shafts) for my 518. I want to buy once and cry once, (I know auto transmissions are always a roll of the dice) and I'm looking at all my options for a rebuild kit, shift kit and lower stall converter. I've called Goerend several times and Dave won't call me back. I know he's a busy guy, but this fact has me looking else where. So I've been looking at Revmax and it would seem I could save some bucks buying his stuff. I'm not a trans rebuilder so I'm gonna have to trust someone. Suncoast and PATC aren't on my radar, but maybe they should be. Is there anyone else I should talk to?

Also, I'm not 100% on buying a valve body. I wanted to ask Dave Goerend about what all they do, but never heard from him. I assume firmer shifts and higher pressures for less slippage. Is that right? This truck won't see much towing (3,500 lbs occasionally). 4x4 quite a bit.

Higbean
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Revmax, Goerend, or ?????

Postby fatty » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:40 pm

It took me about a week to get a call back from Dave. He is waaay busy building convertors from what he said. I'm not sure if he won't sell you a rebuild kit for a 518, but he strongly recommended to me that I get a 47re core and use that for my transmission build. He said the 47re comes stock with a steel planetary and an updated/better reverse band than the 518. If you can't get a hold of him ever I would recommend Suncoast or just pay someone to build it for you (this is what I'm going to be doing).
Where was that picture taken? Looks like it could be Klickitat County in Washington or some parts of Oregon.
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Postby Higbean » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:14 pm

I left a message for Dave again today. I know it's the first of the year and all, so I don't expect a call back soon. Called Revmax and spent a few minutes bending his ear. He told me Transgo does not make a shift kit for the A518 any longer. Can anyone confirm this?

So I think I'm gonna get a valve body, converter, rebuild kit and steel planetaries. Basically comes with all the good stuff except billet shafts. I'm not drag racing or anything so I think this will be good for my application. Anyone have a different opinion?
Higbean
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:44 pm

No...to my knowledge transgo no longer makes a shift kit. Had a customer looking for one not too long ago and I couldn't get p/n showing it existed.

Personally.... I think any of the "big name, aftermarket" converters, valve bodies, etc... will work just fine. The important thing to look for is a company that will work with you if you install the products and decided that you want a lower stall, higher stall.... or whatever. Don't want a company that just sells only an off the shelf kit to you. As not everyone's expectations, uses, nor driving habits are the same. An automatic needs to be built for its specific use.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby fatty » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 pm

Another good convertor source is Phil Taylor of Diesel Performance Convertors (http://dieselperformanceconverters.com/). A 518 convertor from him is 495 (300 core charge) and judging by the forum reputation his customer service is second to none. I know he will do at least one free restall if you don't like what you get. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and let you know what he says.
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:05 am

Patc still has a stage two shift kit available. I haven't ordered one to see if its changed.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby adamg » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:48 pm

adamg
smoke screw?

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:20 pm

I run a Specrite steel stator. It has been dependable since 09'. I went with a steel 5 pinion planetary and 47re intermediate shaft when I built mine. I also went with a basic rebuild and shift kit through PATC. Dont dismiss a stronger flex plate as well.

The Specrite that I run is they're off the shelf unit. It is a bit of a lower stall than my boss's sun coast. But it is still a great converter to get you off the line.

Looks like your in northern cal to me. Specrite should be in your back yard. Lol
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby The_Head » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:36 am

I got a transmission from PATC, but the valve body and convertor are from Suncoast.

I will be going back to PATC if I ever go to the 47RH.
1992 Dodge Power Ram 250 (sold)
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Tradesman, RC, 4WD, G56, Traxda 2.5/1" leveling kit
The_Head
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:44 am

I have to build mine soon. I think I'm going yo do a basic rebuild, shift kit and convertor.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:15 pm

The_Head wrote:I got a transmission from PATC, but the valve body and convertor are from Suncoast.

I will be going back to PATC if I ever go to the 47RH.

Bc847 gave them the nod when I asked about rebuilding mine back in 11'. I figured they were a little backwoods when I looked at they're web page. And when I talked with Ernie at suncoast he said "they may not know much about building a diesel transmission, but they have every part imaginable, a guy just needs to know what he needs when dealing with them."
They have great prices. I got my stock intermediate, 5 pinion steel planet, shift kit, and rebuild kit through them.
$750 I think. Came in a package deal that gave me a billet servo, and accumulator piston.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Knoberman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Another vote for diesel performance converters!
92 Cummins& a 518. installed in a 86 cclb f350 4x4
Knoberman
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 pm

What's DPC charge for a convertor?
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Right in line with everyone else IIRC. $550?
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby slow_90firebird » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi there. I dont know much at all about rebuilding automatic transmissions. But I put a new torque converter in my truck when I had to change the cracked flexplate.

I bought it from Midwest Converters of Rockford, IL. Raceconverters.com. I think it would be at least worth a call on the phone, they have a guy i forgot his name that is very knowledgable on diesel converters and can recommend the best one for you.

The part number I used was #590HD i believe. It is a very mild converter, just a little tighter than stock. it cost me about $300 all together.

They also offered a few others that cost incrementally more depending on what quality you want. But the prices were very reasonable. He agreed with me on the phone though that when I put the converter in the truck I had well over 250k miles on the factory transmission, that it wasnt a great Idea to go with anything too tight or high performance.

The only problem is that they dont show these options on their website so you have to call. And also their catalog does not show anything for the 92-93 with the A518 or 46rh. All the diesel converters are listed under the 727 but they will fit.
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Next

Return to Transmission