my truck is a plow truck, my tranny needs some love

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: my truck is a plow truck, my tranny needs some love

Postby Sutter1stgen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:07 pm

You can do the free valve body mods to help out a little bit. It mainly consists of turning up the line pressure for more holding power.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby sloppy2nds000 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:51 am

sutter, by turning up the valve body line pressure do you mean turning the allen bolt a turn or 2? i did that back when the problem started, and i left it when i rebuilt.

so the update is i plowed the last 2 days. and all seems to be a lot better. i've got some new squeaks and creaks and noises, but the trans is shifting very nicely, and the tc seems to be functioning properly as well.

the truck vibrates a lot a lot less when in gear and stopped. it used to be you couldn't hardly talk to someone at stop lights. it has a lot more reverse power now. like i can actually back it out of holes and ruts. that makes me happy as its been some years since i could do that. its still not the kind of power i get when i drive a diesel chevy or ford in reverse but its much btruck etter.

ive gotta get a tach and gauges now in a bad way so i can take notes on the operating characteristics of the truck. but i think going with a towing setup is going to be the way to go. but until i get gauges i wont know for sure. ebay here i come.

truck still has the ticking sound, sounds like an exhaust leak, but you can only hear it in the cab. its barely noticeable under the truck and cannot be heard under the hood. so i dont know what it is and im still concerned by it.

oh ya i put 14 quarts of atf in the thing after this total system drain, is that normal? im running a stock tranny pan.
91 w250 a518 regular cab plow truck, bone stock, just over 100k, 1 ton front springs and air bags in the rear
94.5 f350 crew cab long bed powerstroke, 100hp beans injectors, solid state chip with 6 pos switch, adrenaline HPOP, about to turn 300k, summer work truck.
1970 bmw 2002, inka orange
1987 vw golf gti, 2.0l conversion
1994 bmw 525i
sloppy2nds000
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 am

sloppy2nds000 wrote:sutter, by turning up the valve body line pressure do you mean turning the allen bolt a turn or 2? i did that back when the problem started, and i left it when i rebuilt.

so the update is i plowed the last 2 days. and all seems to be a lot better. i've got some new squeaks and creaks and noises, but the trans is shifting very nicely, and the tc seems to be functioning properly as well.

the truck vibrates a lot a lot less when in gear and stopped. it used to be you couldn't hardly talk to someone at stop lights. it has a lot more reverse power now. like i can actually back it out of holes and ruts. that makes me happy as its been some years since i could do that. its still not the kind of power i get when i drive a diesel chevy or ford in reverse but its much btruck etter.

ive gotta get a tach and gauges now in a bad way so i can take notes on the operating characteristics of the truck. but i think going with a towing setup is going to be the way to go. but until i get gauges i wont know for sure. ebay here i come.

truck still has the ticking sound, sounds like an exhaust leak, but you can only hear it in the cab. its barely noticeable under the truck and cannot be heard under the hood. so i dont know what it is and im still concerned by it.

oh ya i put 14 quarts of atf in the thing after this total system drain, is that normal? im running a stock tranny pan.

Good to know you turned the Allen screw, counter clockwise right?

I bought a case of ATF when I rebuilt mine and I think I put about another gallon in. So I'd say that's about right.

Your in cab noise is why I wear ear plugs when operating loud/old equipment. It muffles out the not so important noise and let's you really tune into harmonics and future failures. I rock out almost every time I'm in my truck. Literally while I'm getting ready to stage. 2 1000 watt amps raging hard!!! Rocking out. Lol
I notice that whenever I turn my radio down or off I can hear a different sound that irks me. I usually stress or ponder on it for a day or so, until I can settle for "it's just normal".
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Transmission