flushing transmission lines and cooler

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

flushing transmission lines and cooler

Postby fatty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:01 pm

So I was told by my trans builder that my converter must have been on the verge of failure when I pulled it. Lots of aluminum shavings were in the pan and something else that I didn't understand. :lol: Anyways he said I need to flush the cooler and heat exchanger really good before I install the transmission. Problem is I don't have the foggiest idea how to go about this (what agent to use, how to get it through, etc). Anyone ever done this and care to explain how?
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Re: flushing transmission lines and cooler

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:17 pm

Yeah I did it a while back. I took a fresh can of carb cleaner, shot it into one of the cooler lines, and then inserted the other line into a catch can. I then took a tapered rubber blow nozzle and proceeded to blow the dog snot out of the line. I was told to repeat until the line blew clean. This was how I was instructed to clean the cooler line via my instructional video.

Works good. Also the rebuilding process is quite brutal and rough on the transmissions internals. There is going to be quite a bit of trash in the pan right after the first 500 miles. So take it easy until you do the break in fluid change. You are getting your Trans rebuilt right? Or am I assuming too much? Lol
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:15 am

I use some stuff called CoolerClean,its pretty good stuff but pricey. I usually pick it up at O'Reilly.

For the diesel stuff I use 2 cans,I pump one thru one way and the other can I use to back flush.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:40 am

I've used brake clean and compressed air.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby fatty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:24 am

Yeah it is getting rebuilt and should be done today. Thanks for the answers guys.
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission