just lost reverse in my plow truck

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: just lost reverse in my plow truck

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:53 am

You are the o lay one I've heard have issues with chassis savers. I have three plow trucks running around the area I did 8 years ago and look like they did the day I sprayed them.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:06 am

I get my parts from transtar as well.....been buyin from them for 5or6 years now and so far so good on the quality of part.
I have a bunch of trans info post here somewhere,I'll see if I can find it......you need a book in the worst way. In the ATSG manual I have is a diagnosing flow chart that would be helpful to you,il see if I can get a clear pic of it
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:11 pm

I hate chassis saver too. I used it a long time ago at work and only months later the rust came right thru. I don't bother to say much about it because everybody seems to love it.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby sloppy2nds000 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:54 am

ya i dont know about chassis saver. i set the cab on saw horses. first i powerewashed the frame, then scraped off what little rust was on the frame, then wire wheeled the entire frame, then washed it with hot soapy water, then sprayed it with laquor thinner. then sprayed an entire gallon on the frame. 6 coats. thinned it down 10:1 with chassis saver thinner. i went above and beyond the manufacturers instructions. a year later rust coming thru. next year more rust, next year more rust, this year more rust. ive since quit touching up the bad spots this year. not worth it any more. the stuff sucks. maybe its just the michigan salty as hell roads, i dont really know. but for the extra money, por15 with all its special products is the only way to try and go. i coated the dogde for its first winter in michigan when i brought it here from colorado. the truck has become a rust bucket in the last 4 winters. makes me real sad. colorado was way nicer to it. she looked quite nice out there.

as far as my reverse problem, i get my parts today with any luck. weather permitting. its been crazy snowy here for the last 4 days. all the roads shut down and what not.

found a small chunk of the reverse band in one of the springs in the valve body yesterday. some how got wedged in there. i think that cause a cross feed which threw the servo and caused the first break. then the reverse band continued to delaminate and totally shredded the drum for the second loss of reverse. totally bummed, i missed out on making almost a thousand dollars this week by missing 3 days of plowing. but it was money i didnt have and money i still dont have so how can i miss it? right? i just hope i get it good to go and the snow keeps flying. only problem now is weve had over 100" so far and all the driveways are outta snow storage. so i might be outta a job if it keeps up. i hate to say it but we need a thaw at this point.
91 w250 a518 regular cab plow truck, bone stock, just over 100k, 1 ton front springs and air bags in the rear
94.5 f350 crew cab long bed powerstroke, 100hp beans injectors, solid state chip with 6 pos switch, adrenaline HPOP, about to turn 300k, summer work truck.
1970 bmw 2002, inka orange
1987 vw golf gti, 2.0l conversion
1994 bmw 525i
sloppy2nds000
fuel screw!!!!

Postby sloppy2nds000 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:08 am

well i spent about 8 hrs last night going through the tranny again, honed the servo bores for the new servos, and installed the fairbanks valve body kit on heavy duty configuration. i took my time with everything. cleaned the valve body completely but didnt notice anything alarming inside as in excessive wear. the plates looked unworn. didnt find any large chunks of debris inside, so hopefully if there was something in there causing a cross bleed it was small enough to be drained out when i drained down the vb at disassembly. there was a pile of crap in nearly every conceivable hole on the top of the valve body from where the reverse band and drum pooped all over everything below. but overall, all looked well, so hopefully all is well. im off to put it back in the truck now.
91 w250 a518 regular cab plow truck, bone stock, just over 100k, 1 ton front springs and air bags in the rear
94.5 f350 crew cab long bed powerstroke, 100hp beans injectors, solid state chip with 6 pos switch, adrenaline HPOP, about to turn 300k, summer work truck.
1994 bmw 525i
sloppy2nds000
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Hope this fixed your issue.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby sloppy2nds000 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:07 am

so i got it all back in, bolted up so on and so forth...dont have park, reverse or neutral, and drive is a little weak but 1 and 2 are ok. od housing is tip top, the parking lug/detent gizmo were also tip top. the rooster comb is in my opinion functioning beautifully, super tight with no slop. infact its so tight that it kinda hurts my hand to actuate it. sharp and pokey kinda pain. i think the manual valve that came with my fairbanks kit had the vane in a slightly different position than the stock valve but the main blocks on it were identical. so i want to blame it on the new manual valve for now giving me all fwd gears but i cant because my park detent isnt engaging. the rod passed thru with a little resistance and slides out with a little as well. i air checked the servos and they worked as they should. the accumulator is a bit sticky but i attribute that to being the leak proof sonnax red one. but its nearly impossible to get it to slide in the bore by hand.

so park creeps enough that you need the brakes to hold it back but when you get on the gas it slows, reverse tries to go in reverse but in the end kinda creeps fwd at the last moment. it mostly stays put but you can feel it wanting to move. drive is sluggish but 2 and 1 seemed ready to drive. when off and in park you can push it by had as if it were in neutral. but in any other gear, even neutral you have to push real hard to get it to move, nearly impossible to for one person to move it on a concrete floor more than a couple inches at a time. so i drained it pulled the valve body, checked the servos and band movement, checked the position of the new manual valve movement and compared it to the old. i put he new one back in. its draining now. but im off to bed. ill mess with it more when i get up.

it all seemed pretty straight foreward, so what the heck did i do? please someone chime in. im sure ill sort it out on my own, but i dont want to trouble shoot and trial and error it. id like to have one of you say, hey turd its this, and that be the end of it.

at this point im leaning towards swapping the old valve in and then tearing the vb down again. what happens if the gov tubes dont find their hole? the od slid back together so nicely that i assumed they went home when i set it in place.
thanks.
1994 bmw 525i
sloppy2nds000
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:17 am

Look thru here.
http://www.1stgen.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14628

The new manual valves are designed to allow converter fill in park,effectively reducing gear engagement. Nothing more or less,leave it in there. It should be out of adjustment with the symptoms your having.
As far as your parking paw not engaging,idk. Somethings up with how the Rod went thru the od housing an paw assembly I'd guess.

if the governor tubes weren't right the trans wouldn't shift on it's own,at all
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby sloppy2nds000 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:12 am

ellis, im baffled as to why the park paw/detent isnt working given its simplistic design. if it goes past the detent lever it should work without fail. but ive got to worky and its definitely gone past. too bad i cant see in there to get a peek at whats crappening with it.

ive got great contact at the rooster comb arm to manual valve. i havent bent it at all yet. i assume youre telling me to check the alignment of the valve to Land A. so i guess ill break her down and check it out. what do those lands do with the valve position? what is their function?

i have no idea if the trans is capable of shifting on its own yet. i cant back it out of the shop, and if i could id have a hard time getting around the yard, theres well over a foot of drifted snow in my yard and my drive way is between 2 and 3 feet deep, swept flat for 600 feet. but if i can back out, i can at least use reverse and first to plow out, then test the shift capability.

thanks for the quick reply bud. i did read that thread the other day and last night but i wasnt sure it pertained to me cause my manual valve looks quite different from that one but yet the same. it has shoulders that seem to share the same end points as that one and my inner areas are quite a bit thinner than the stock design or that one.

time to get back to the grind. pull the vb again. messy ordeal.
1994 bmw 525i
sloppy2nds000
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DodgeFreak » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:23 am

I believe the parking pawl is spring loaded, you might of missed the spot for it when you slid the od on, but not sure if you could bolt it all the way up unless it moved the shifter. did you have to readjust shifter linkage or anything?? Have you tried shifting it with out the shifter linkage on?? pull the valve body and make sure you get the parking pawl in there. Once the valve body is in I rotate the output shaft to make sure its in before fully bolting the valve body in.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:30 am

where are you from?? not sure if I caught that.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby sloppy2nds000 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:22 am

im from central michigan on the lake. i got the pawl past the detent arm with ease. it is spring loaded but if it doesnt go thru there is no bolting the valve body up without serious persuasion and breaking stuff. if it doesnt go thru i have to rock the tail shaft a little to get the detent to grab the groove in drum. from what i could tell the spring loaded action is so it can bottom out on the back of the case when selecting the lower gears on the column shifter lever. once that gets there the pawl will pull out past the arm and fall on the floor. i didnt need to mess with the shifter linkage adjuster where it mounts to the tranny but i did just to see if that was the culpirt. it wasnt so i put it back. i know when the linkage is in or out of adjustment because the park switch wont let the ignition key work to start the engine, and the column park detent groove will be hard to find. im just finishing up another complete tear down, cleaning and inspection of the valve body. everything was and is still moving like a hot knife thru butter.

manual valve is .014 proud on Land A

has anybody had any trouble with running aftermarket billet aluminum servos and accumulators? specifically sonnax? i called fairbanks shift kits and the guy said they were junk. told me to throw that crap away.
Last edited by sloppy2nds000 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1994 bmw 525i
sloppy2nds000
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 am

Anything sonnax makes is usually good stuff,I've used tons of their products without failure. Salesmen usually like the brands they sale.
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby sloppy2nds000 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 am

hey ellis, where should i be looking for a cross bleed to be causing the reverse lock up at the 2-3 shift? the shift valves were all spot on. and where should i be looking now for an issue with drive/binding in all gears?
1994 bmw 525i
sloppy2nds000
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:02 pm

I wish like hell I had got on earlier,I could have looked thru my books and might come up with something for you. Honestly I have never had your issue.
I'll see of I can get by the shop tomorrow and look.
ellis93
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission