just lost reverse in my plow truck

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: just lost reverse in my plow truck

Postby sloppy2nds000 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:53 am

well i got the tranny all back together yesterday, and the reverse seems to be working just fine, for now, it made a strange popping sound for the first hour every time in engaged reverse, im thinking it was the servo either hanging up or getting used to its new home. its billet and alot thicker than the factory one. hopefully she holds up. im gonna order a spare this week just in case. but i have a feeling its gonna be needing either a ready sleeve or a new tranny case if it persists. the bore looked good and fairly round. i honed it out and bore checked it. not sure if there was a cross bleed in the valve body or if it was all just a fluke.

i believe the ticking sound that started the whole fiasco to be the detent rod for the park pawl to be riding a little funny in the rear section and putting a little bit of pressure on the detent. though i took it all apart and saw no evidence of dragging, it is dragging. i turned the output shaft and heard a ticking. i panicked for a moment cause the tranny was back up in the truck and i noticed it while installing the drive shaft. so i changed gears with the selector arm and i could hear the pitch change and fee the ticking in the arm. dropped the pan and valve body to make sure and there was nothing wrong, and the noise goes away with no rod installed. so i fiddled with the rod and was able to replicate the sound. so i said it is what it is, and put it back together. some times it ticks, some times it doesnt.

thanks for the help guys, i greatly appreciate it.
91 w250 a518 regular cab plow truck, bone stock, just over 100k, 1 ton front springs and air bags in the rear
94.5 f350 crew cab long bed powerstroke, 100hp beans injectors, solid state chip with 6 pos switch, adrenaline HPOP, about to turn 300k, summer work truck.
1970 bmw 2002, inka orange
1987 vw golf gti, 2.0l conversion
1994 bmw 525i
sloppy2nds000
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Transmission