How do i tell for sure what trans i have ????

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

How do i tell for sure what trans i have ????

Postby motorhead540 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:44 am

What do I need to do to know for sure which transmission my truck actually has ?

my truck is a 1993 dodge cummins powered CCLE 4X4 I know it has a auto trans that has overdrive ?

I know the trans filter kit I always order is for the old 727 torque flite trans as I know that is the one that fits it , But what trans it actually is I don't know

I see people say 518 ,a518,46rh,47re which one do I have or how can I tell for sure ?

I would like to rebuild mine and replace the converter as it has very close to 300,000 miles and getting pretty loose . when I turned the engine up it made 220 rwhp on the dyno so not huge power and I don't work it real hard but want it to be reliable and work good .

I do miss being able to roast the hides from a slow roll though
motorhead540
smoke screw?

Re: How do i tell for sure what trans i have ????

Postby cmann250 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:41 am

The 518, A518, and 46RH are all the same thing. A518 is the "old" name and 46RH is the "new" name. Even my transmission rebuild book switches back and forth. I'll go ahead and say you don't have the 47RE because you'd have to have a manual valve body in order for one to function in a 1st gen. They are computer controlled.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby motorhead540 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:45 am

OK so my trans is most likely a A518/46RH then from what you say . are there any other things to look at to be 100% sure that's what it is ? I have been looking for transmissions here locally on craigslist . my plan is to pickup another core trans and get it built and ready to install with any and or all parts I may need for the build or swap over . been thinking I would like to have a lockup converter to help with mileage on longer hi way trips . I quit using the truck as a daily driver after I moved a few years back . when my daily commute went from just shy of 30 miles to just over 100 miles round trip. but I cannot be without my truck for the type of things I do in my spare time . and cannot justify replacing it because it now sits sometimes for 2-3 weeks at a time
motorhead540
smoke screw?

Postby DodgeFreak » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:16 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15488

Like Caleb said 518 and 46rh is all the same. 47rh/618 has lock up and better internals, 47re/618 is the same as the 47rh only it has an electronic gov. so the tail housing is different. I can't remember but its not as big and I think its shorter. then you have the 48re which has different internals yet and valve body. BC on here has rebuilt his trans with 48re parts so he basically has a non lockup 48rh
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:24 am

motorhead540 wrote:are there any other things to look at to be 100% sure that's what it is ?

On the main case of the transmission, there should be 2 electrical connectors. One is round and plugs in on a horizontal plane at an angle with 3 wires. That's the Park/reverse/neutral switch for your lights. There is a two pin connector that is oriented vertically just a bit further back that should have 2 wires. The two wires for sure means you have a 518, as they are for the O/D solenoid. O/D is the only electronic shifting function in a 518.

Switching to a 47RH can be expensive. Number one, the cost of buying and rebuilding a 47RH will be greater mostly due to the locking converter. Secondly you'll have to buy a 2nd gen adapter plate and starter. The adapter plate is about 1" thicker to accommodate the locking converter. Since the block plate is thicker, the transmission mounts and cross member have to move back about 1". The rear drive shaft would have to be shortened and the front driveshaft would have to be lengthened. The 47RH also has a 3 pin connector instead of 2. The extra pin is for the converter clutch solenoid.

With a locking converter the truck would tow better and get a little better fuel economy.

Is it worth it? I don't know. You could easily have $400 wrapped up in conversion parts and shortening/lengthening the drive shafts, plus the premium for a 47RH and the premium to rebuild it.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission