new SB clutch

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

new SB clutch

Postby 93ramrod » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:58 pm

hey guys, just got a new 13" southbend clutch including the flywheel. I wanted to tackle this my self. My question, how difficult is it to do this. I have normal tools, anything the average do it yourselfer would have, is there anything i should be aware of before atempting this thing? I know the tranny must weigh a ton, thats kinda got me worried haha. Any advice about anything to do with the job would be awesome.

cheers.

1993 d250 diesel, 2wd, 5spd, ext cab, truck is basically bone stock.
93ramrod
fuel pin?

Re: new SB clutch

Postby PToombs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Get a tranny jack. Make a couple brackets so you can bolt the jack right to the trans. Anything else is downright dangerous. I tried the floor jack, ratchet strap on the trans jack, and a bunch of other ways. Now I have 2 pieces of angle iron, I drain the oil, (since I'm usually opening it up anyways) pull the PTO covers, then use the lower PTO bolt on each side to hold the angle iron which I bolt to the trans jack. Works great for me. I'm also working on the floor, I don't have a lift.
I pull the shifter handle, then the snap ring and remove the stub from the trans. That gives it enough room for the tower to clear the floor pan.
Good luck!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BILTIT » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:10 am

I made an adapter as well, anything to secure it is a good thing.

I used a standard floor jack saddle (like below), removed the rubber and welded it to the c-channel.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Floo ... /1090014.p
Derek B.
2003 QuadCab, Tater 62/65 341cw, Smarty Touch SW9, Full Billet trans.
91.5 W250, coolertubz, HE351CW, PS IC, Alcans, GVOD, Valair DD, bags, crossover.
1974 Pontiac Ventura,best of 11.97 at 112 so far.
Aluminum heads and roller cam on the way.
BILTIT
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Fri May 09, 2014 2:52 pm

To help with install, I block the front wheels real good, then jack up the rear end so the flywheel is perpendicular to the floor/ ground. This way, I can just slide the transmission into place. Dont have to deal with lift, push, lift, push of trying to go up and forward t the same time.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission