Transmissoin cooler setup to keep 47RH cool at 26K gross?

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Transmissoin cooler setup to keep 47RH cool at 26K gross?

Postby Got Smoke? » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:43 am

I'm just getting started building a 93 6BT to go into my 97 F350 that I hot shot with. I'm going to be chucking the ZF5 regardless because its already scratching in 2nd and I'm not going to spend money on a rebuild AND a $700 adapter. I originally just figured I would just throw a NV4500 in it, but I'm contemplating a 47RH now becuase I can build one and install it for just a little more.

What kind of cooler setup would I need to keep this cool while loaded down with my 3 car trailer? Engine will be mildly set up 350-375HP for reliabliity sake.
97 2500 Tweeder Style ECLB.... whole lot of not stock lol
97 Ford F350 7.3 5spd 6Pos chip, SBC Con O, Irate Bellowed Up Pipes, WW2, 3" DP 4" exh
Going to be a Fummins this winter! 93 6BT rebuild in the works!
Got Smoke?
fuel pin?

Re: Transmissoin cooler setup to keep 47RH cool at 26K gross?

Postby dazedandconfused » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:29 pm

I would think a super duty cooler out front and a large aftermarket cooler with a fan might keep up. If you could find a factory coolant heat transfer log or whatever its called with the above would have no problem. Since your going to be running that large PS radiator I don't think you will see coolant heat soak either
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Got Smoke? » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:31 am

dazedandconfused wrote:I would think a super duty cooler out front and a large aftermarket cooler with a fan might keep up. If you could find a factory coolant heat transfer log or whatever its called with the above would have no problem. Since your going to be running that large PS radiator I don't think you will see coolant heat soak either

Yeah on another forum I asked they recommended a 5R110 cooler and they showed a picture of one mounted out front on a OBS.... :shock: :shock: :shock: that joker is HUGE!

I've had quite a few people tell me that the OEM heat exchanger on second gen's with the OEM cooler out front work extremely well since I've also been looking at converting Tweeder Style to auto as well. I just like the thought of overkill if I'm actually going to put a auto in my hotshot truck. I guess I need a 5R110 cooler and OEM heat exchanger.
97 Ford F350 7.3 5spd 6Pos chip, SBC Con O, Irate Bellowed Up Pipes, WW2, 3" DP 4" exh
Got Smoke?
fuel pin?

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:07 pm

I'd do that and put a aftermarket cooler with fan on as well just for overkill. Your towing heavy constantly and better to have overkill.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Got Smoke? » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:16 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:I'd do that and put a aftermarket cooler with fan on as well just for overkill. Your towing heavy constantly and better to have overkill.

This is a picture of the 5R110 cooler I was talking about installed in a OBS. My boss has ran these on two 7.3 auto's towing heavier loads than I do (he would haul dual 5500 Dodges, I refuse to as it's way overweight and would shorten the life of my equipment) and his trans temps stayed in check?

Got Smoke?
fuel pin?

Return to Transmission