Transmission Conversion Questions

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Transmission Conversion Questions

Postby Begle1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:41 pm

1. What do I use to mount the A518 to my truck? The crossmembers are the same, and NAPA says that the overdrive transmissions use the same rubber horizontal bolt mount as the 3-speeds. So the only thing that is different is the plate that mounts to the bottom of the transmission? And that plate is entirely unique to 91.5-93 automatic trucks?

2. Overdrive first gens only have one driveshaft and no carrier bearing?

3. I bought a yoke out of a 92 first gen automatic, and then discovered that yoke has a single extra-wide spline while the transmission only has equal width splines. Suncoast says that I need to find any yoke from 1996 to present. Huh? Did they really introduce a new yoke in 1996 and still have the same thing?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby JD730 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:52 am

1. Not sure on the plate that mounts to the trans, I can check sometime this weekend with the 727 and the 47RH I have at home.

2. Yours has a 2 piece drive shaft and carrier bearing? All the regular cabs I have are 1 piece drive shafts and the club cabs are 2 piece. Of course almost all of mine are 4x4, so the T case adds some length to the transmission.

3. The slip yoke in my 2000 has the same sort of thing. Did you try it in the trans yet? The extra wide spline is for timing purposes when its used a different way in a drive shaft application, that way the u joints always line up properly.
Mike
Thats not a leak, its the external lubrication system.
The "Rattle Box"
93 W250 Silver Club Cab, few tweaks here and there.
John Deere Two Cylinders, too many to list.
JD730
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:09 pm

My '92 regular cab long box 2wd has a 2 piece shaft.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:04 pm

I got a 2nd gen plate (gasser, if it counts), and it mounts to the transmission.
But the holes on the plate don't match up with the rubber mount that attaches to the crossmember.

I know the crossmembers were the same on the overdrive models as on the 3-speed models, and I think that the rubber mounts are the same. So I think that I have a wrong plate.

As for the yoke... The 91 overdrive yoke definitely doesn't fit in the tranny. It's got that extra-wide slot in it.

I guess I need to find a yoke out of a 96-and-up Cummins automatic and a tranny plate out of a first gen overdrive.

On another note...
Is there a way to seal the dip stick without RTV? I got a new O-ring for it, but it fits in really loose... There's a little rubber sleeve that fits inside the port on the trans, but it's the same diameter as the tube... Did they change dip stick tube diameters too?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby flashgordon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:31 pm

Begle1 wrote:I got a 2nd gen plate (gasser, if it counts), and it mounts to the transmission.
But the holes on the plate don't match up with the rubber mount that attaches to the crossmember.

I know the crossmembers were the same on the overdrive models as on the 3-speed models, and I think that the rubber mounts are the same. So I think that I have a wrong plate.

As for the yoke... The 91 overdrive yoke definitely doesn't fit in the tranny. It's got that extra-wide slot in it.

I guess I need to find a yoke out of a 96-and-up Cummins automatic and a tranny plate out of a first gen overdrive.

On another note...
Is there a way to seal the dip stick without RTV? I got a new O-ring for it, but it fits in really loose... There's a little rubber sleeve that fits inside the port on the trans, but it's the same diameter as the tube... Did they change dip stick tube diameters too?

Actually..........don't now what year they changed but the newer one's us a Trojan :safe: :lol: type rubber sleeve that replaces the o-ring.

EDIT: don't now how i made it so big :shock: .....Didn't do it on purpose
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CAJUN 93 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:28 am

flashgordon wrote:EDIT: don't now how i made it so big :shock: .....Didn't do it on purpose

been there :santa:
daryl
93 d350 5spd 3.54-bhaf,stg iv,banks intercooler,bosch185,16cm,pacbrake,4" straight exh,pump mods,366 spring,leece-neville alt.
hers- 93 d250 auto 3.54- pump mods only
ours- 93 w350 dually, auto, 3.54. stock for now
parts 93 d350 auto, 92 d250 auto.
CAJUN 93
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:16 pm

Suncoast sent me a baggie with a black rubber sleeve that fits in the dipstick port, but the sleeve is the same diameter as the dip stick... There's no way that the sleeve fits around the dip stick tube.

Nobody knows if they went to a smaller tube in 91.5? Don't see why they would, but there's an O-ring around the dipstick that I have. Are you supposed to use the O-ring in conjuction with the sleeve?
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:35 pm

I'm still trying to find a yoke...

I got one that has the right splines now (I guess that all the 30 spliner's had the keyway in them, even though there is no master spline on the output shaft), but it doesn't want to slide on.

Suncoast says that there are two different 30-spliners that will fit; one that will slide on, and one that's a little bit tighter and needs to be pressed on? Anybody know anything about that?

This one that I have slides on about half an inch, and it work fine; then I can tap it an inch and a half farther with a rubber hammer. But then it starts taking too much oomph than I have courage to hit it. It's supposed to just slide on with some body weight, apparently. :roll:
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby ofcmarc » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:18 am

Begle1 wrote:
This one that I have slides on about half an inch, and it work fine; then I can tap it an inch and a half farther with a rubber hammer. But then it starts taking too much oomph than I have courage to hit it. It's supposed to just slide on with some body weight, apparently. :roll:

Check the splines on the shaft and in the yoke for a burr or something. It won't take much to keep the two from sliding together easily.
'92 W-250, Getrag, Pump Tweeked, 366 Spring, Fuel Pin Spun, 14cm W/G, 3.5in Exhaust, Pyro/Boost Gauges, Front End Leveled, 202K
ofcmarc
fuel pin?

Return to Transmission