TRANS service question

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

TRANS service question

Postby hokietiger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:39 am

Hi gang,

Just dropped the transmission pan on my recent purchase (1989 Power Ram 318c.i., 5.2L)....I honestly believe the fluid has never been changed !!...Amber colored fluid and the old paper cork gasket (stuck to pan like glue).

Anyway, the manual says if you let the truck sit for several days, more fluid drains out over time. I guess this is due to the converter seeping.

I have no way of blowing out lines for more fluid drain...ANY SUGGESTIONS on how to remove as much old fluid as possible??...ANY OTHER PROCEDURES I need to perform that will help (limited tools and no garage access)....Does anybody out there like LUCAS TRANS FIX additive?? (I heard it's a good additive for improved trans performance)

Thanks a bunch!!

Mike
hokietiger
fuel screw!!!!

Re: TRANS service question

Postby oldestof11 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:30 am

What's wrong with it?

Buy some tractor transmission hydraulic oil. It's cheap ($40 for 5 gallons), withstands heat better, and is thicker so it tightens up the trans a bit. I would fill, run it a day or so, drain. Do this a couple times to flush it. Then do what ever you need.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby txs » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:25 pm

poor boys converter and cooler flush, take the rear most cooler line loose from the tranny, stick a hose over it and hold the end in a bucket. Dump about a gallon or 2 of cheapy fluid in and start it in neutral. this flushes the converter, the cooler, and lines.
93 w250 6 speed 4" exhaust, caution, work truck, she's no beauty. building 1 ton dually 4x4, dana 80, 48rh, 205 Scratch the one ton, bought frt. dually 4x4 98 12 valve with the tiny rear doors. rides so much better than the 93.
txs
14mm rotor

Postby rpmgarage » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Just want to add my 0.02...

I would not recommend a flush. You can't "back flush" a trans like a cooling system. You run the risk of pushing any bad stuff FURTHER into the transmission...and risk clogging passages that the junk would never have otherwise gotten close to.

If it really bothers you, just change the fluid in the pan 3 or 4 times...the resultant dilution will still be a HUGE improvement, but you will not risk creating problems you don't have right now.

Just so you know, I speak from experience...I once decided to flush a Ford C-4 in an older Mustang...for absolutely no good reason, as it was shifting PERFECTLY. That all ended with the flush...once I flushed it, it would not make the 2-3 shift and slipped before engaging in reverse. I do not know what it actually did because I swapped it with a freshly built unit without having it looked at.

Just my opinon...and experience..
1991.5 D250 Reg cab, shortened to 1/2 ton WB, 175K, 2" drop shackles and overload removed in rear w/van lower control arms in front, A518 w/capacitor "fix" for TPS, play pen, star wheel 1 1/4 turns, 4" open exhaust, KDP fix, air box modded with BHAF, B&M extra deep trans pan w/ Moroso gasket and tractor hydraulic oil, B&M diff cover, mostly happy owner...
rpmgarage
smoke screw?

Postby hokietiger » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks for the message.....I performed a service prior to catching your reply but here's what I did:

Dropped the pan and allowed all possible old fluid to drain by gravity flow. Then, I disconnected a cooler line adjacent to the radiator and attached a small portable air pump nozzle to the cooler line. This allowed air to be forced back into the system via the cooler line by the air pump and subsequently "pushed out" an additional 2-3 quarts of old fluid. I let the air pump run until NO further fluid drained out of the trans pan/trans filter area(approximately 10-15 minutes). Attached a new filter and gasket and then reinstalled the pan....Then, I added CASTROL SYNTHETIC ATF +4 and 36 oz. of LUCAS trans additive until the Full mark was achieved (after a short drive with a re-check on fluid levels).....The trans shifts very well in all gears and reverse.

Hopefully this procedure is acceptable and any additional feedback is appreciated!!
hokietiger
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission