Slip yoke

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Slip yoke

Postby mitchk » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:50 am

I need a new slip joint or slip yoke or whatever the technical term is for the rear driveshaft. ive been chasing a vibration for a while that started with bad u-joints and ive narrowed it down to the output shaft bearing on the transfer case and that slip joint in the rear driveshaft. I cant seem to find that slip joint anywhere, I went to a few parts stores and then to the dealership and apparently its discontinued. Anyone know where I might be able to find one or what a good alternative is. I already need to rebuild the transfer case and front hubs so im pretty tight on cash so not looking to get a custom shaft or something like that. thanks, mitch
Daily: 91 d350 727 gear vendors over drive, 3/8 feed line, THD lplp, maxed pump, Denny t 2, timing to head, #366 spring, 60# valve springs, arp studs, 60 horse injectors?(po), THD bahf, s362sxe

Project: 93 w250 5 speed, ground stock pin, #366 spring, 60# valve springs, THD lplp, intercooled compressor non intercooled turbine, diamond eye 4 inch, custom intake, south bend hd single
mitchk
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Slip yoke

Postby PToombs » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Most driveline shops should be able to put a new spline unit in your old shaft. Not going to say it will be cheap, I've never done one to know.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Re: Slip yoke

Postby brandonmgreer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:54 pm

X2^^^

Find your local standard tranny shop. Most of them will build as mant transfer cases as transmissions. You may have better luck at a 4x4 or driveshaft shop. find a mom n pop, though. Not someone like 4 wheel parts.

As for price... could be $150 for the yoke, could be 600... depends on the part and availability.

It is a good idea to take your whole shaft for matching, and get it high speed balanced while you have it there.
White/black 92 D250 manual conversion, Pump tweaking is about it right now...
95 CCLB 4X4 5 speed being but back together from a wreck
99 Kenworth W900 flat top, Tuned 500 Detroit, BW 75mm 1.32A/R, 5915 injectors, 13 speed, 3.55's
brandonmgreer
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission