Having no overdrive converter on an overdrive transmission..

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Having no overdrive converter on an overdrive transmission..

Postby Begle1 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:35 pm

The factory service manual makes mention of an "overdrive converter" for the speedo sender.

I'd assume that I don't have this thing. Think this is something I can get at Napa? What happens to my speedometer when I go into overdrive without that converter?

How do I wire the overdrive, anyways?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:55 pm

That converter your wondering about is only used on a $X$ model. Dodge didn't build the 205 transfer case. They used a reducer box to bring the speedo reading down to true reading.

On the Auto's you need to change out the speedo drive gear. Make sure you look at the indexing marks. If you reinstall it wrong you will blow the drive gear out.

There are a couple of ways to wire it. You could use toggle switchs. Or scroll down the page on the link below. About 1/3 of the way down and do some reading.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/727Transmission.htm

You are going to like the OD with your 3:07 gears. :)
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission