NV4500 Issues

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

NV4500 Issues

Postby dr_funk » Sat May 02, 2015 8:56 pm

My 12 valve is backed by an NV4500, installed by the previous owner. I'm not sure how many miles are on it, but its been getting progressively more difficult to shift into third. The other gears can be stubborn at times - for example, getting it into reverse - but third gear is the worst. I'm pretty sure the third gear synchro is mostly gone, if not completely. I've also had a few occasions where it doesn't want to come out of 5th.

The previous owner said that he had an issue with the 5th gear nut coming loose and had it fixed. I'm not sure if it fell all the way off or not. I'm also not sure if he had the nut upgraded. Could this be the source of the issues I'm seeing?

I believe the previous owner may have also put a quart or two of standard gear oil in instead of the special sauce from Chrysler. I flushed the transmission since then and filled it with the good stuff. Is it more likely that my problems just originate from dissolved synchros?

Are there any sources out there for rebuild kits with the carbon synchros? All the ones I've seen so far have brass.
dr_funk
fuel screw!!!!

Re: NV4500 Issues

Postby thrashingcows » Sun May 03, 2015 8:51 pm

I rebuilt, and converted my 2wd NV4500 to 4wd when I did my 2wd to 4wd conversion on my cummins crewcab. I got all OEM type parts on-line. I never did come across any brass syncros, only the carbon fiber OEM style.

Here is a similar kit to the one I got....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-NV4500-4x ... 86&vxp=mtr
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission