231/241 question HELP

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

231/241 question HELP

Postby CumRango » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Sooo...I have a VE swapped Durango, with a 47rh, and I'm using my stock transfer case from the Durango, which is a 231HD, with a 23 spline input...the rear slip yoke has been mated with a flange and CV setup driveshaft, and a clocked rear differential due to my extremely large lift. I just spent a bunch of money on the driveshaft setup, so I'm not wanting to swap transfer cases, since my 231 works just fine EXCEPT for the fact that the input shaft isn't long enough to properly seal against the output seal of the trans, and it leaks some fluid. I've done some research and it seems as though the 241 and 231 have interchangeable input shafts as long as they have the same gear cut, but there are also 3 different lengths available...can anybody confirm whether they are definitely interchangeable, and also, can anybody confirm what length the input shaft is in the 241 behind the 47rh from a second gen so I can order the right length without having to tear mine apart and measure, so I don't have to do the job twice, and I can still use my truck while waiting for the new shaft comes in.
CumRango
smoke screw?

Re: 231/241 question HELP

Postby Gots_a_sol » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:55 pm

I can't help you on lengths, but I dropped a 241 input/planetary right in to my Jeep's 231 as a cheap way of changing input splines (swapped to a chevy trans and needed 32 spline vs stock 23)
-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission