A518 end play

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

A518 end play

Postby Crazy horsefly » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:52 am

I recently bought a 92 w250 12v with a A518. The guy I bought it off of had cranked up the injector pump and as a result snapped the output shaft on the tranny. When I got the truck back to my shop, he had already taken the tranny out. I bought an output shaft, governor assembly, and a rebuilt kit. This is the first transmission that I've ever tried to rebuild. So I bought a press and the service manual for the truck. I went through the process step by step. Everything was pretty straight forward, I replaced the output shaft and governor assembly. Installed new friction discs and seals. The problem is now that I have the trannny back together, the end play is .125 when the book says it should be between .034 and .084. I've got a shim kit for the overdrive unit coming and I've also ordered the intermediate shaft end play spacer. I'm guessing that I will have to play with the intermediate shaft spacer to get me my correct end play. But something doesn't seem right. I thinking that I might be overlooking something. The only thing that's really different is the output shaft. The discs should have taken up my end play if anything. Has anyone encountered this problem before, I'm I making too big a deal out of the end play?
Crazy horsefly
smoke screw?

Re: A518 end play

Postby Crazy horsefly » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Quick question. Do I have to measure end play with the transmission standing up on end? Currently, I've got the OD unit and everything installed but, it's horizontal on the bench
Crazy horsefly
smoke screw?

Postby cmann250 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:41 pm

1/8" is a lot. Did all your thrust washers go back in?
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Crazy horsefly » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:47 pm

The thrust washer behind the oil pump? Yes. The tab washers in the planetary gearset, yes. Thrust washer between OD thrust bearing and piston, yes. I've been through it several times, but I can't find anything missing. Going through the book it all seems there. But 0.040 over tells me something has to be missing. I'm just not sure what. I was hoping that I was just measuring it wrong.
Crazy horsefly
smoke screw?

Postby txs » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:46 am

I would rather build one with end play under factory specs as over, as long as you have some they're good. I can't remember whether the 4x4 output sticks out past the housing, if it does don't stand it on the tail to set end play. One trick to setting end play is take the o-ring off the OD of the pump, then you can pull the pump back out by hand, just don't forget to reinstall on final assembly. Betwwen the intermediate shaft and the input there are 2 washers, the mickey mouse washer and a thin steel washer which goes on the intermediate shaft side, make sure you have them both there. Also make sure the output shaft radial bearing is seated in the snap ring good. The thrust washer that goes between the pump and the front clutch retainer is the selectable, they come in 4 or 5 thicknesses.
93 w250 6 speed 4" exhaust, caution, work truck, she's no beauty. building 1 ton dually 4x4, dana 80, 48rh, 205 Scratch the one ton, bought frt. dually 4x4 98 12 valve with the tiny rear doors. rides so much better than the 93.
txs
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission