727 issues

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

727 issues

Postby Agentorange » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:40 pm

My truck is a 1991 d250 with a 727 in it. I'm having some problems with the trans. First the linkage was loose so I fixed it with a bushing. But now it's still loose and I have to guess what gear I'm in but I can still get into gear. However I just noticed that reverse is slipping and the shift from 2->3 is very quick after shift from 1->2. Even when shifting from 2->3 the engine revs up for a bit then shifts. When I give it some pedal the truck seriously moves. I've been reading that reverse and 2->3 are linked with each other and it could be the front bands or servo or the front clutch? I'm trying to get a getrag soon but I would like to be more educated on the matter of how this 727 works. Also would a whole used (not rebuilt)getrag change over be reasonable around $3500? One guy quoted me that seemed high. The other getrag I was looking at the guy was asking $400 but milage is unknown
Agentorange
fuel screw!!!!

Re: 727 issues

Postby Agentorange » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:52 pm

So I adjusted the tv cable which made the shift from 2->3 take longer. It actually made the shifting slightly better when the truck is cold. When it gets warmed up it starts slipping in reverse and 2->3 shift makes the high rev before the shift. The high revs increase as the truck gets warm.
Agentorange
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:04 pm

Sounds like you are starting to slip for sure. You can drop the pan, change the filter, adjust the bands and bump line pressure then refill with tractor hydraulic oil to see if it helps.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Agentorange » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks man. I'll check those things out. Now would over filling the trans cause slippage?because that's what the PO did and it's over the max. I don't know if he thought this was a getrag or what but he over filled it
Agentorange
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Agentorange » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:52 pm

Ok so I changed the filter and oil. There was a lot of grime like thick metallic grime. I saw some brass shavings in the pan too. The oil was a dark red and was slightly burnt. From the pans I filled I recovered 2 gallons of atf. I spilled more on the floor so there might have been 2.75 gallons of atf in the trans. Seems like a lot so I filled it back up with 2 gallons of dex atf because it wouldn't get in gear when there was 1.5 gallons. Unfortunately I decided to bleed the brakes and one of the calipers has a chip near the threads so it leaks when the line is hooked up. So I just ordered another caliper and will put it on tomorrow when I get it. Then I'll test out the transmission if it acts the same way
Agentorange
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:13 pm

You should have refilled with tractor hydraulic oil. I've been running it for a couple years now. My trans fluid was black and my trans was really sluggish. I knew it was on its way out so I tried this and its helped a ton. It still needs refreshed but Its not slipping horribly yet.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Agentorange » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:35 pm

I'll do that if it slips pretty badly. I was reading how you need dex or merc or whatever in a certain type of transmission. The 727 book I had said dex so that what I went with
Agentorange
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Agentorange » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Well I don't know if the trans is not full enough or its just toast. I first start it up and I can get into reverse and neutral. Cannot get into drive. When I try to shift into drive it does nothing. When I shift out of "drive" soon after I can't go back into reverse, only park and neutral are available. After 20 min of screwing with it the truck will finally get into all the gears. Might just flush it out and fill it with tractor hydraulic oil like you said just so I can pick up the getrag next week. The dipstick reads that the level is over the ok mark when it was at operating temp and in neutral on flat ground. I've filled it with 10.5 quarts. I've read anywhere from 8-13 quarts of atf would fill a 727. I've also read if the atf level is low it might not get into gear.
Agentorange
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:51 am

What does it read on the stick idling in neutral?
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Agentorange » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:29 am

Around the "do not" where it says do not over fill

I did fill it up around 6 quarts when I changed the filter. I tried to move the truck but I got the same results as I am now. So I filled it up 7.5 quarts and tried again. It moved the first time I started it but then the next day it wouldn't. When I got it to move it was the same day I was flushing the brakes so I couldn't drive it to warm the engine up. Added 3 more quarts and that's where I stopped. When this happens I can feel the gear selector not grabbing anything. You can move it up and down and it will feel zero resistance. Sounds like something is messed up in the valve body?
Agentorange
fuel screw!!!!

Postby matthewh » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:51 pm

Possible its still your linkage? Had a similar issue, the plastic bushing on the frame support crapped out, and the linkage fell out, so you could still shift at the column, but it didn't do anything in the trans.
Sloppy linkage may still be causing your issue, unless tour trans is just that dead
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Postby Agentorange » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:56 pm

I used one of the dorman bushings and it's still in there. I think it's that dead
Agentorange
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Agentorange » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:27 pm

I was able to drive it. I have to go from park to drive immediately, no stopping to find neutral or reverse. Now the oil feed line from the oil filter to the turbo is spraying oil out near the filter, back in the garage it goes
Agentorange
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission