5th missing teeth

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

5th missing teeth

Postby mhuppertz » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:51 pm

Update on a previous post, pulled the transfer case and extension housing, the large 5th gear is missing teeth as I suspected.

All the other gears felt fine.

I have a spare NV4500 (unfortunately 2 wheel drive main shaft) that I guess I can pull the two gears from, but don't want to hurt any more parts until I figure out the cause.

Thoughts? The nut backed off a couple of times before I put in the permanent fix, so maybe the small gear riding on the edge of the big gear weakened the teeth on the edge?

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n192 ... vkoyft.jpg
mhuppertz

Re: 5th missing teeth

Postby mhuppertz » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Also, looks like I need to drive out a couple of roll pins in the fork rod, and I pulled the c clip, not sure how the rest comes off...
mhuppertz

Postby mhuppertz » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Got my spare trans 5th gear assembly pulled, then the weather set in. I will be laying in the snow this weekend pulling the bad parts and putting in the new(er).

Maybe someday I will have a garage long enough to work on my truck. :(
mhuppertz

Postby PToombs » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:08 pm

mhuppertz wrote:Maybe someday I will have a garage long enough to work on my truck. :(

I know about that, if I put the truck in I can't walk around it. If I clean the garage for more room my tools are outside.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:16 pm

PToombs wrote:
mhuppertz wrote:Maybe someday I will have a garage long enough to work on my truck. :(

I know about that, if I put the truck in I can't walk around it. If I clean the garage for more room my tools are outside.

My issue is I just can't close the garage door because several feet of the bed is sticking out. If the repair is going to take longer than a day it had to be done outside. Looking for a kerosene turbo heater to melt the snow around my truck and keep me from freezing...

Gotta figure out a better way. One thing is for sure, I won't be hammering on my truck in 5th gear. :roll:
mhuppertz

Postby PToombs » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:03 pm

I have a 115k btu kerosene salamander I heat the garage with. It works ok, I use only clear kerosene and keep the heater clean of dust and dirt so it burns clean and doesn't smell too bad. Worst part is the noise, it's loud with a jet cooking next to you while you are working! :lol:
Maybe you can get some of that sheet Styrofoam insulation and cut it to fit under the truck to close up the opening some? Or throw a tarp over the truck and put the heater under it to keep you warm. I'd worry about the fumes and lack of oxygen though.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Jamesdeere24 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:29 pm

As far as how long the fix will take....
Once your NV is out, you should be able to beat out the roll pin that holds the shift fork, and you will be good to go if I remember correctly.
If you get stuck I can look up my assembly book for nv4500's.
Either or, that fix shouldn't be terrible, if you are organized and have all the correct parts laid out, it should take less than a full day.
Jamesdeere24
fuel pin?

Postby mhuppertz » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:18 pm

I didn't take the NV out, did it in frame. Just got the replacement 5th put and the extension housing bolted on. Wanted to take a crack at fixing the 4x4 indicator switch before I stick the transfer case back in.
mhuppertz

Return to Transmission