A518 external cooler

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: A518 external cooler

Postby Philip » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:29 am

Keep the trans service up. Get the trans cooling system back up to working order. You should be fine.

Now on towing do not tow in OD at a light throttle settings. If you not at half throttle or more. Drop out of OD. Your T/V cable (kick down cable) controls line pressures. Do not tow in OD with low line pressures/ low throttle setting. It will take out OD clutches due to those low line pressures. .
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby mrc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:28 am

Philip wrote:Keep the trans service up. Get the trans cooling system back up to working order. You should be fine.

Now on towing do not tow in OD at a light throttle settings. If you not at half throttle or more. Drop out of OD. Your T/V cable (kick down cable) controls line pressures. Do not tow in OD with low line pressures/ low throttle setting. It will take out OD clutches due to those low line pressures. .

That's another issue I would like to correct, my OD button does not work, I bypassed the TPS with a potentiometer. It shifts in OD great were I set it at about 50 mph. But the OD button never really worked well. Should I replace the button or turn the potentiometer off and on every time? (Kind of a pain )
Was also told I should put in a pressure sensor on the tranny.
92 W350 flatbed with duels, club cab, stock engine, automatic (for now), 4" exhaust, air bags
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:56 am

Let me look around I might have a OD switch laying around. I have stripped a couple of auto trucks.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby ofelas » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:05 pm

FYI the reusable plastic pan gasket with neoprene beads part # is 2464324AC about $27.
I reused the factory pan bolts, plenty of thread left with the thicker gasket.
Front band - 2.5 turns out; rear band - 2 turns out.
Both after setting to 72 inch lbs
R12 = liquid bilit
ofelas
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mrc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:11 pm

Anyone ever try a fluid control thermostat on their lines to the cooler?

That would be great if you had a switch for me Philip.
92 W350 flatbed with duels, club cab, stock engine, automatic (for now), 4" exhaust, air bags
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:00 am

mrc wrote:Anyone ever try a fluid control thermostat on their lines to the cooler?

Do not even think about it. The return oil goes back into the trans and cools the rear bearing, OD bearing, other items. Do not restrict flow anywhere in the cooler system.

Restricting the flow out of the converter can cause all sorts of expensive problems is the other side of that coin.

Dodge tried a one way check valve in the trany cooler lines in 1994+ trucks to stop drain back issues. That little item caused many people to have transmissions rebuilt when it failed.
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby ofelas » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:08 am

Yes, I well remember that problematic one way check valve in my 2001...
R12 = liquid bilit
ofelas
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:37 am

ofelas wrote:Yes, I well remember that problematic one way check valve in my 2001...

That check valve was a god send to the auto trans rebuilders. It increased profits vastly. Just because Dodge did not want to redesign the main spool valve to provide converter fill in park. The check ball back in the valve body would have been better. At least if it failed it didn't kill a trans.
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby mrc » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Philip wrote:
mrc wrote:Anyone ever try a fluid control thermostat on their lines to the cooler?

Do not even think about it. The return oil goes back into the trans and cools the rear bearing, OD bearing, other items. Do not restrict flow anywhere in the cooler system.

Restricting the flow out of the converter can cause all sorts of expensive problems is the other side of that coin.

Dodge tried a one way check valve in the trany cooler lines in 1994+ trucks to stop drain back issues. That little item caused many people to have transmissions rebuilt when it failed.

Thought it seemed like a gimmick, was just thinking of those cold days, but I live in northern California.(where the girls keep you warm) :o
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ofelas » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:52 pm

If I remember correctly, I drilled it out at about the same time I installed a shift kit.
Out of sheer habit, I still start all auto vehicles in Neutral...
R12 = liquid bilit
ofelas
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mrc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:28 pm

liftarc wrote:I'm sure I have it, I haven't tore anything apart yet. Just found out I wont be home for a couple weeks then the weekend I do get to go home I have to pull a graveyard shift at Sierra Nevada Chico to demo their old hops strainer that we replaced last month. What kind of timeframe are you looking to be running in? I dont mind giving you that hardline but itd be a couple weeks out.

Thinking I might wait till you get yours apart, I wouldn't mind having all the steel lines you are willing to part with. Having trouble finding fittings that will link rubber to the tranny fitting.
Any one else want to give their old lines away? I'll pay shipping.
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ofelas » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:36 pm

X2
I'm on the lookout for the liquid exchange canister and its associated steel lines as well.
R12 = liquid bilit
ofelas
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:19 pm

mrc wrote:Thinking I might wait till you get yours apart, I wouldn't mind having all the steel lines you are willing to part with. Having trouble finding fittings that will link rubber to the tranny fitting.

It shouldn't be any trouble to get fittings. Remove the adapters from the trans and take them to the hose shop. Get new adapters to got from pipe thread (trans) to JIC. If you blow a hose, almost everyone including NAPA carries JIC fittings, it was the industry standard since the 70's. I wouldn't try to get invert flare fittings to mate with the trans, too much trouble, just swap the adapters and never look back!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby mrc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:55 pm

PToombs wrote:It shouldn't be any trouble to get fittings. Remove the adapters from the trans and take them to the hose shop. Get new adapters to got from pipe thread (trans) to JIC. If you blow a hose, almost everyone including NAPA carries JIC fittings, it was the industry standard since the 70's. I wouldn't try to get invert flare fittings to mate with the trans, too much trouble, just swap the adapters and never look back!

Thanks, that was the route I was planning on taking if nothing else works. Found adapter for 47re that dorman makes that should work, and gives me a nice standard 1/2" to plug into. Looks like it should go right in the tranny ports. It's on order from the local parts store. Still thinking I'm going to put a 90 degree off that with a barb fitting to connect with the hoses. The HE should be a 1/2" fitting to a barb as well. Then all I have to do is run hose everywhere. Any thoughts?
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mrc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:44 am

Found all the fittings and bought the hose. So I want to line you up with how I'm plumbing it and please tell me if this sounds right.

Tranny output -> heat exchanger -> front cooler -> rear cooler -> tranny input

I know it seems simple, just want some expert input on how to route the lines. Thanks in advance.
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission