A518 external cooler

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: A518 external cooler

Postby mrc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:08 pm

I'd PM you but I'm still new to the forum. Did you bypass the HE or go with a new one. How much are you looking for and how would we go about a transaction?
Whomever took out the HE in my truck just took a foot long piece of hose and connected the coolant lines to complete the curcuit. Could buy some lines and route it wherever I can mount the HE.
92 W350 flatbed with duels, club cab, stock engine, automatic (for now), 4" exhaust, air bags
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:12 pm

You might want to try Rock Auto. I got lines there for my 97. To be honest, I would not do it again. I'd use hydraulic hoses instead of fighting with the steel lines, it was a real PITA. I have access to hose and fittings at work to make them how I want, so that is a major factor in my thoughts. Like Philip said, trans hose from the auto parts is ok, but not the greatest thing going. I would be more worried about it blowing off at the ends. If I do have to use that method, I use the fuel injection clamps that put even pressure instead of the regular hose clamps and I double clamp it.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:57 pm

CP59 did a trans swap to a getrag. That's why he has parts laying around.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby mrc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:16 pm

How do we delete posts?
Last edited by mrc on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92 W350 flatbed with duels, club cab, stock engine, automatic (for now), 4" exhaust, air bags
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mrc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:16 pm

That makes sense why he has parts. Worked and researched some more today. Few more questions.
Looks like mine was plumbed with 1/2 inch, is that correct or is it 3/8?
Trying to figure the best way to connect the hoses to the tranny output and input. Any pictures or ideas? Metal fittings, etc. Was thinking of cutting the ends off old metal hoses and flaring the tips to slip on rubber.
Seems the HE is mainly to keep transmission at constant temp, coolers keep the temp down when it gets too hot. Since warmer temps are ahead, would not have to worry so much about cold starts. Maybe don't need it so much in summer.
Want to plumb temp gauge on output, any recommendations for inexpensive guage and sensor.
My auxillary cooler looks to be in working order, going to wire manual switch for the fan for when or if it overheats.
Leaning towards not putting in the HE and running it with the guage to keep track of temp.
Read somewhere that the temp sensor coming out of the output is not necessary. Is that true?
Lots of questions, I know, I'm very appreciative of any and all responses.
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:51 pm

You have a non-lockup converter. In normal light foot driving the converter outlet temps are going to be 150 degrees and up. The more throttle or towing load. The more the temps raise. Right now you have no where near enough cooling. Members with temp gages in the converter out line have reported temps as high as 250 when towing heavy and up hills. The HE does the bulk of the cooling. That little air to air under the grille is just an after thought by Dodge.

The stock lines are 1/2"

The trans in and out ports are 1/4" NPT. Be very carefull when trying to remove the old fittings. Many people has twisted them off trying to remove them.

That aux cooler should have a thermo switch to turn itself on at 180 degrees. If it is bad you could find a replacement from NAPA with a little searching.

The temp switch on the converter outlet is used to drop the trans out of OD to reduce the load on the converter. High heat can grenade a converter.

Cheap and gages are not two things that go together. You buy cheap/ you get cheap. The cheapest gages on the market are glowshits. Do a google on them see if you want to waste the money.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby mrc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:00 pm

Was hoping you weren't going to say that, thanks again for setting me straight. What about a 2nd or 3rd Gen HE?
Or just be patient and find a used one. $350 is not in my budget right now for a new one. Maybe I have enough posts to pm...
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:24 am

I have a few 2nd gen trans coolers......if you think they'd work message me on here. All are in good working order and have good clean fluid in them. No roasty toasty fluid has been passed thru them.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:11 am

PToombs wrote:I'd use hydraulic hoses instead of fighting with the steel lines.

I second this. If my pile still had an auto, I would've replaced the steel lines with hydraulic hose.

mrc, you have a PM ;)
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby mrc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:23 am

After looking at my options, I'm going to use hydraulic hose and wait till I get a replacement HE. Thanks Philip for beating that into my head. I just hope the damage isn't already done because of running without one for who knows how long.

Right now I just want to get it on the road and decide what I want to do with it. Sell it and find a 5 speed, or keep and upgrade to a manual eventually. I was offered $500 over what I bought it for the other day, not including what I put into it. But I do like this truck.

Thanks for all the info, there will be more questions to come as I go through this process of getting this 'pile' on the road.

That was 25 posts, can't wait to see what happens! :o
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:06 am

mrc wrote:Thanks for all the info, there will be more questions to come as I go through this process of getting this 'pile' on the road.

Just ask. Most of the owners on this website has owned their trucks for a while. Just about anything you could ask about has been done or tried. :lol:
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby mrc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:34 pm

What pan gasket and filter does everyone recommend?

Oil looks clean at least.

Found a hydraulic line shop an hour away and thinking I can reuse the existing output line(still in decent shape) that goes to the HE. Going to mock it up with garden hose to get the length once I get the HE.

Is it worth it to plumb all the way to the auxillary cooler? Or just stick with HE and front cooler?
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mrc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Filter was DIRTY. Can I hose down the inside of the tranny with brake cleaner?
What about tightening the bands? Anyone have a link for that for our transmission?
Damn I have a lot of questions. :D
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:48 pm

I would put the gauge sender in the pan, that way you get an idea what temps are in the pan which is a better whole trans temp. Output line is going to be hot from the converter, and return will be cold from the coolers. Neither is an accurate temp IMO.
If the aux cooler doesn't have a temp switch for the fan you can get inline ones at Summit.
what? gauges suck! ;)
Any brand of filter should be ok. I just get them at the autoparts. The filters are the same for 727, A518, etc. Most kits come with 2 pan gaskets, 1 for the 727 and the other is for the 904.
Yes, brake cleaner is your friend, buy it by the case now that you own a 1st gen. :lol: Kidding, a few cans at a time is plenty. :mrgreen:
Band adjustment may be on here some place, I can't ever remember and have to look in the book to do mine.

Yes, yes you do! :dayum:
:jumpsmile:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:18 pm

Band adjustment= loosen lock nut. Turn adjuster screw in till it bottoms out. Tighten adjuster screw to 72 inch pounds. Back out two turns and tighten the lock nut down. That's for both bands.

For the pan gasket Dodge has a reusable gasket. I would recommend it. You will need new bolts. The bolts for the reusable gasket are longer.
Philip
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission