Clutch Hydraulics Dead Again

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Clutch Hydraulics Dead Again

Postby mhuppertz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:11 am

Anyone have the hot ticket to a replacement clutch master/slave set that doesn't stink?
Tired of replacing these, they last a year or two then die.

Can the South Bend 2nd gen setup be used with a longer slave pushrod?

I just had to rescue my niece and her blown up Ferd motor home yesterday evening, go half the way from Albuquerque to Arizona when my hydraulics went totally flat. Pulled her from Arizona back to New Mexico with no clutch!

Tired of the factory replacement junk.

Thanks for any help.
mhuppertz

Re: Clutch Hydraulics Dead Again

Postby Remps » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:57 am

Sir... all I can say is..towing a motorhome that far with no clutch..you must surely be a true jedi master of the nv4500. :lol: I would assume if the engine/trans are joined the same as a 2nd gen, then 2nd gen hydros would work, not sure though. Do you use a 2nd gen starter with a nv4500 swap?
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Re: Clutch Hydraulics Dead Again

Postby mhuppertz » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Remps wrote:Sir... all I can say is..towing a motorhome that far with no clutch..you must surely be a true jedi master of the nv4500. :lol: I would assume if the engine/trans are joined the same as a 2nd gen, then 2nd gen hydros would work, not sure though. Do you use a 2nd gen starter with a nv4500 swap?

My truck and I have been through 430,000 miles together, some of them pretty hard. I know where all the shift points are and can up or down shift without the clutch (and often do just because). Thanks for the compliment!
It's all 1st gen stuff, except I can't remember if I switched the bell housing, but not the starter. It's been a long time since then!

I might try the South Bend second gen one and adapt as necessary. I need the adjustable clutch rod anyway because I have deformed, cracked, welded and braced my firewall many times. I like to drive rowdy sometimes!
mhuppertz

Return to Transmission