Getrag counter shaft

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Getrag counter shaft

Postby stevediesel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm working on overhauling the Getrag and have run into an issue with the counter shaft bearing race/cup spinning in the bore of the case, on the rear of the trans. Anyone have a fix for this or am I needing to use another case?
stevediesel
fuel pin?

Re: Getrag counter shaft

Postby PToombs » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Depends on how bad it is. The case should be replaced, or IIRC, somebody had theirs bored out and a bushing made to press in it. I cheated on mine. I prick punched the hole, then put Loctite on the race when I assembled it. You have to work fast to get it torqued before it sets up to make sure the preload is ok.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby stevediesel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:27 pm

I do have another case to try, just have to break it down. It was bad enough to where I can turn the race with my fingers after it was seated all the way into the case.
stevediesel
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Mine was about that bad. I could feel the play in the hole. You might better break down the extra case, since you have it. Better to be safe than sorry. I didn't have that option, not many trannys here near me. Plenty in the middle of the country, but I needed to get it together and didn't have the money for shipping.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission