My 47RH swap into my 92 W250

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

My 47RH swap into my 92 W250

Postby cougar » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:54 pm

For you future reference just incase someone else wants to do this.
The transmission I used was from a 95 V10 which caused problems of its own. You will have to replace the entire governor and not just the weights, the housings are different. You will also have to recalibrate the valve body, aka replace the springs which will come in the shift kit anyway. Other than that, any other differences in the transmission will not affect its intended function.
What I am going to list here are the parts and/or modifications I had to. You may decide to do different or run into different conditions, but I thought it important information.
2nd gen engine to transmission adapter plate. Necessary because of the added length of the lock up torque converter. EVERYTHING IS MOVED BACK!!! Remember this! It will be the cause of your unexplained premature aging!
2nd gen starter and flex plate. They all seem to be the same so there shouldn’t be a problem finding one. I didn’t have to grind or bend the frame on mine, but others have. There was plenty of clearance for it. I do recommend overhauling the starter though while you have it out.
Transmission support plate. Because the transmission has been moved back, you will need to move the mount holes back by the same amount. Now most have opted to weld an extension onto the existing plate and re-drill, I opted to make a new extended plate. Less of a possibility for failure in my opinion.
Drive shafts. I had to shorten the rear and lengthen the front. My rear being a 2 piece, the front section was shortened to realign with the bearing mount holes on the cross frame.
Shift linkage. You will have to transfer your 727 or A518 shift lever onto the 47RH. I highly recommend repositioning the shift linkage bracket on the frame aft to straighten out the alignment of the jack shaft. There is the possibility the shaft may bind or fall out.
Transfer case shift lever. Remember what I said about premature aging? Well, this has turned out to be an interesting problem to solve. Not only was the lever moved back by the adapter plate, it was also moved back because of the different location of the bolt pattern on the side of the 47RH transmission. As a result, I can’t shift into 4lo. So, I will have to modify or make an adapter for the shift lever bracket to get it re-centered in the floor pan hole and then lengthen the push/pull rod accordingly.
OD TC control. 3 pin connector required. Your choice on control method. I opted to go with the HGM Compushift Mini standalone over simple manual switches. The reason being it had to be hands off for the wife to drive.
Skid plate. Like everything else it will have to be moved back too. I will probably weld some tabs on the skid plate and re-drill.
I wish I could give you some specific dimensions, but there seems to be some variations between what I measured and what others that have done this swap reported. I suggest measuring in place and don’t guess.
This is not the easiest swap I’ve done, but given the results I’d say it was worth it.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Re: My 47RH swap into my 92 W250

Postby cougar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:33 am

Did some measuring so I'll add that to my report.
The 2nd gen engine to transmission adapter plate. Necessary because of the added length of the lock up torque converter, 2 5/16” vs 1 ¼”. EVERYTHING IS MOVED BACK by 1 1/16”!!! Remember this! It will be the cause of your unexplained premature aging!
Drive shafts. I had to shorten the rear and lengthen the front. My rear being a 2 piece, the front section was shortened by 1” to realign with the bearing mount holes on the cross frame. 1 1/8” would have been better. The front shaft was lengthened by 1 ¼”.
Turns out, the problem with my transfer case shift lever is some one cut the rod shorter and re welded it. I still need to move the lever forward an inch and an eighth, but I'm going to fab a new rod using 3/8" bar and a couple rod end bearings.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby cougar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Just found out the 47RH won't downshift out of OD with the TC locked. Kinda sucks for towing. So, more work on the valve body is in order. I'll have him do the 2nd gear lockup mod while he's in there.
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby cougar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:08 am

My 92 is finally going back into the transmission shop for valve body mods this week.
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby cougar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:25 am

Just an update.
Lockup is available in all gears and it will down shift out of OD with the TC locked now. Amazing what a little valve body work will do. Changed things a little on the transfer case shift rod. Removed and lengthened a sleeve that was on the rod. Welded one end and drilled and tapped the other end for set screws so I can make the rod longer or shorter as needed. Works great.
cougar
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission